Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring my bike in Kildare but living in Dublin - risks?

Options
  • 28-11-2003 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭

I know this isn't stricly legal - I'm living in Dublin, driving a Honda Shadow 90cc scooter, and my insurance has gone up by nearly €200 from last year to nearly €1,200. I gave my address in Dublin, but my folks live in Kildare. I travel there frequently but wouldn't stricly live there.

I called my broker to see how much of a difference it would make to my quote if I 'moved' to Kildare, and it's over €350 less. He then said that I can't drive the bike in Dublin. Surely this can't be right? I know that if found out they could cancel the policy in the event of an accident or theft, but is it worth the risk? Could they actually find out?

Si.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If you run some kid over outside a school in Dublin or someting, on your way to work, then they'll have found out, won't they..?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by SuprSi
    I called my broker to see how much of a difference it would make to my quote if I 'moved' to Kildare, and it's over €350 less. He then said that I can't drive the bike in Dublin. Surely this can't be right? I know that if found out they could cancel the policy in the event of an accident or theft, but is it worth the risk? Could they actually find out?

Si.
    That's bull. Unless your current insurance policy explicitly states, "This policy only covers you for driving in the county in which you reside", or something similar, then that's crap. Also afaik, insurance provided must cover you for the entire country legally, afaik....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Originally posted by seamus
    That's bull. Unless your current insurance policy explicitly states, "This policy only covers you for driving in the county in which you reside", or something similar, then that's crap. Also afaik, insurance provided must cover you for the entire country legally, afaik....

I think you'll find that if you lie on your proposal, they're not obliged to cover anything, never mind the whole country..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

That's what I thought. He said something along the lines of your only allowed in Dublin once a month or something, which seems stupid. I'll check it with them again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Originally posted by spockety
    I think you'll find that if you lie on your proposal, they're not obliged to cover anything, never mind the whole country..

But how would they know I lied. For all intents and purposes I could be living in Kildare, and commuting on my bike. Silly idea, seeing as how I can only just get over 50mph, but viable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

For that money you will get a piece of paper that will get you past a checkpoint but is sod all use to you otherwise. If you are involved in an incident in Dublin you are legally obliged to inform your insurance company. They are perfectly within their rights to ask you how you commute from Kildare to Dublin. Should you be unable to give a credible explanation then you are liable to have you insurance declared null and void with hefty penalties a distinct possibility. You could then find yourself blacklisted for a long time and unable to get insurance on a car.

Don't lie to Ins Co.s, it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Rodney Trotter
    They are perfectly within their rights to ask you how you commute from Kildare to Dublin.
    "I was in Dublin for the day"....

Yes it is lying, but taking that fact aside, can an insurer insist that you are only insured within one county? Surely and insurance policy must cover the entire State...

Can anyone decipher http://193.178.1.79/ZZA24Y1961S62.html and tell us if that requires a policy to cover you for the whole State?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

To me it sounds like the goon in the insurance co was confused. He could have meant you can insure a vehicle in the republic but you can only drive it in the north a certain amount of days per year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

It's pretty obvious the man was referring to whether you commute or not. You must indicate your main residence and your annual mileage. If you're commuting from Kildare to Dublin on adaily basis then you are a huge risk, if you live in Kildare and commute once a month then that's a different story, however if you claim to live in Kildare and the area of most use is Kildare, when the reality is much different, you might as well get a photocopier and make up your own cert.

Advertisement