Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting IPs on a Box???

• 28-11-2003 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

OK as some of you may know already I've just recently gotten a new router a D-Link 504 and after some initial problems connecting to ESAT (solved by the Boards.ie team) I got it to connect and all is sweet and working. By the way if you are using IOLBB USB modem if you can get a Router or an Ethernet modem get it!!; cause once I removed my USB modem my CPU temps went down nearly 10C!! and my downloads can now hit 55Kb; where before I only hit 52Kb max (Subjective not Promised for all :ninja: ). Connecting from my computer to the router is fine I connect and can browse the net etc... I have no real problems with my connection (Execept WinMX wont let me upload stuff to ppl, router must block).

But when I try to get the downstairs comp to connect it just refuses!, it runs Win2k with all patches etc... When I click on enable connection it connects but refuses to accept an IP from the routers DHCP server :confused:, thing is I have the same set-up as my own comp on it set to receieve IP from router, same installed protocols etc.. It not the hardware cause I stuck a Knoppix CD (CD bootable Linux Distro, tres cool!!) in to test the hardware and it worked fine, I was browsing within secs. I dont know how windows accepts IPs I think I may have disabled some important Services for networking; I dont really know what else could cause this, but I dont know which Services are neccessary for DHCP stuff....my own box has practically no Services running on boot. By the way by "refuses to accept" I mean ipconfig returns 0.0.0.0 as IP of machine when connected to network and it wont ping the router. So does anyone out there know or have an inkling of whats going on???, I'd appriciate all comments I can't figure it!.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ohh and the router does know that the comp is connected the lights are on on it so it's showing up as being there....Just not accepting an IP even though it's configured to accept IPs. Also when I set it to be a fixed IP(The comp) i.e 192.168.0.3 it can connect to the router and ping it and see the other comp on windows networking but it still wont get Internet.

Advertisement