Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

router problems ??

• 28-11-2003 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Using eircom BB for a month now, happy enough..
    But today I tried to setup a router and thats where
    my problems began.

How should a router be setup ?
    I goto 192.168.1.1 to configure the router
    after that I get lost,...being non technical.

any help would be welcome

Modem is netopia
    Router is q-tec 790rh, 4 port BB router

Rgds
    lensman10@eircom.net

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Well does the router included an ADSL modem if so you'd need to give it the VCI/VPI settings 8 35 respectively(or the other way around, the expert speaks:D ). I'm using 192.168.0.1 as my router IP are you sure .1.1 is right cause then your subnet mask should be 255.255.0.0 or 255.255.1.0....What exactly is wrong???, you should plug in your computers into the router and let it handle the IP addresses if the router has DHCP enabled (set the IP address field to obtain IP automagically). What happens when you do that?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

You need to put the Netopia into "bridge mode" with modem's NAT and DHCP off. Follow instructions at ...
    http://www.netopia.com/en-us/support/technotes/hardware/CQG_020.html?print=yes.
    You can test direct to PC at this stage if you like. (note W2K has no PPPoE client). PC should get public IP address.

Go into the router web interface and configure for PPPoE probably just needs your username and password.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

thanks folks,
    I've been at this thing since 1:00 today,
    What I have tried is
    1.. connected cable from modem to router wan port.
    2..connected 1 of 4 ports on router to 10/100 port on
    PC.
    3.. status l.e.d's on modem & router check out ok
    4.. in IE I type 192.168.1.1 as requested in router user guide
    5.. I then get a login screen, and I click enter.
    6.. then I get 4 options asking how I connect to the net
    7..I select PPPoE option and get another screen asking for
    username
    password
    Pri ip address
    sec ip address I leave both blank & goto next screen.
    8.. more questions asking for
    pri dns
    sec dns I leave both blank.

thats about it.

I use XP , my tcp/ip settings are set for

obtain an IP address automatically
    obtain dns address automatically

I intend to stay up till I nail this thing so feel free to
    reply to 0863195663
    Rgds Paul

Can the router talk to the Modem??, does it see it? from what I know Eircons modem is a router, when you type in ipconfig in the cmd line do you get an IP....in other words is your computer being given and succesfully receving and setting up an IP address?. Your problem sounds exactly like the problem I am having right now one of the PCs connected to my router decides that the router provided IP is not good enough so it doesn't accept it. Thing is it's not my hardware that's the problem it's the software cause when I try Knoppix(Linux CD-Bootable Distro) It works fine; meaning it's windows 2k fecking about:mad:. Dont bother reading my tread no one has replied yet I think it's an odd problem.....this stuff should be automagic. Does your PC get an IP address???????.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Lensman.
    Have you setup the Netopia as a bridge as yellabelly suggested? If you decide to go this route (no pun intended :-), be sure to read the link carefully and follow exactly.

If you are non-technical, I would suggest you get a 4 or 8 port 100Mbps switch or hub and connect your PC's to that and let the Netopia handle the complicated bits.
    Out of interest - why are you using a router ?
    If you just want to connect several PC's to the Internet, the switch or hub is the way to go. The switch is more expensive, but usually supports full duplex (100 + 100Mbps) between your PC's.
    The Netopia's Ethernet port is also capable of 100 Mbps full duplex.
    If cash is tight, any inexpensive 10/100Mbps Ethernet hub will do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    I'm using 192.168.0.1 as my router IP are you sure .1.1 is right cause then your subnet mask should be 255.255.0.0 or 255.255.1.0
    You're wrong, 255.255.255.0 is the correct subnet.
    You could use 255.255.0.0 but generally people just use 255.255.255.0

Ta Frank Grimes I wasn't sure myself thats why I was so hesitant about saying that all I know is it depends on the class of network his router is going to be using what subnet mask it was going needing.....that's right, right?:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

problems solved,...thanks.

Advertisement