Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Brennan warns Iarnród Éireann on services

• 29-11-2003 5:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/1128/rail.html
    Brennan warns Iarnród Éireann on services
    November 28, 2003 (16:35)

The Minister for Transport, Séamus Brennan, has warned Iarnród Éireann it must improve services in return for investment.

And he has warned the company he will take radical action if the tax payer is not given value for money.

Minister Brennan made his comments as he announced a special allocation of €40m for new rail carriages.

Iarnród Éireann says the money will allow it to expand services across the country.

Capacity on many commuter routes will be increased significantly.

Intercity and regional services will also be improved.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/2045389?view=Eircomnet
    Trains may need 'radical surgery' - Brennan
    Friday, 28th November, 2003

The Minister for Transport, Mr Brennan, has warned Iarnród Éireann "radical surgery" would by used by the Government if rail services are not improved over the next two years.

The "radical surgery" in question, Mr Brennan said, could include the introduction of competition into a market which has, to date, been monopolised by Iarnród Éireann.

"The Irish taxpayer has invested very heavily in track improvement," Mr Brennan said. "With further investment in rolling stock we expect the company to deliver," he added.

"It they don't, customers will go elsewhere and we the Government will have to use more radical measures to ensure efficiency."

Mr Brennan was speaking at the announcement this morning of a special allocation of €40 million to the company for the purchase of new trains. A new timetable for all major routes was also unveiled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Victor
    Brennan warns ..........

Yawn...... Anybody else getting a little tired of Minnie's populist oratory and poor follow through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

De rebel 's spot on with his viewpoint. I took the train from Leixlip for all 2001 and most of 2002 and I had to stop it cos I was totally fed up with it. The annual ticket went up by 30% in 2002 and by another 6-10% in 2003 but the service got worse. Basically the passenger numbers kept on growing so I was having to take an earlier train in the morning and a later one in the evening just so as I could avoid being buggered twice a day from and until the train reached Clonsilla Station. Once a week I would see some girl faint from the heat- no kidding. My wife tried the train once or twice cos based on my advice and said never again. Now thankfully I have a parking spot at work so I can drive -Slow but at least I don't feel like I need another shower when I arrive at work in the morning.

Last month I took the train midweek from Hueston to Limerick Junction and I was shocked that it cost me E47, E55 including my bike. Expensive and crowded and v poor value I thought for a trip of only 190 miles.

Brennan, while I think he's more of a doer rather than a talker unlike most TD's, should make somebody accountable for the poor timetables and overcrowding- He is not a credible supporter of the user of the trains at all and until there is another rail competitor I think the IE management unions and especially ILDA will just pay him no real heed at all.
    On the subject of ILDA I see that Ogle has just released a book and is trying to rehabilitate his image, he is even still a train driver with IE afaik. IE management must have no real authority or power if they cannot even get rid of this troublemaker who doesn't give a toss fow whatever amount of inconvenience he causes the punters!

Competition and nothing else is what is required imho . If Minnie can do it at Aer Rianta he should go for it at IE too.

Until the service is better I am driving and to paraphrase the NRA chappie they will have to prise my steering wheel from my cold dead hands before I will change back.

OK rant over I am going for a pleasant Saturday drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Yawn...... Anybody else getting a little tired of Minnie's populist oratory and poor follow through?
    Phoenix magazine refer to him as the Miniature for Transport. :)
    Originally posted by mrblack
    Last month I took the train midweek from Hueston to Limerick Junction and I was shocked that it cost me E47, E55 including my bike. Expensive and crowded and v poor value I thought for a trip of only 190 miles.
    London - Manchester can cost STG£250 at times.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Victor
    Phoenix magazine refer to him as the Miniature for Transport. :) London - Manchester can cost STG£250 at times.....

Talking to taxi drivers in Hull - they regularly do trips to London Airport - it's cheaper faster, and door to door. And if the Taxi driver is in the AA with full cover - the AA will finish the journey if the Taxi breaks down...
    And lets not mention integrated ticketing on a long distance journey on UK railways...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Talking to taxi drivers in Hull - they regularly do trips to London Airport - it's cheaper faster, and door to door. And if the Taxi driver is in the AA with full cover - the AA will finish the journey if the Taxi breaks down...
    And lets not mention integrated ticketing on a long distance journey on UK railways...

Hull, most god awful city in the universe. If it was me I'd pay a lot more than £250 to get out of the place.

Advertisement