Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 3 Arena Problems

Options
  • 27-11-1999 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

People,

I am having trouble with Q3A on net play, it's grand on LAN, but when I connect to a server, like quake3-1.ign.ie, for instance, I can play for a while with 2/3 players, more players join and my game goes nuts with a 'Connection Interrupted' message.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this happens?

I'm running a PIII 550mhz with a TNT2 and 576megs of RAM. My modem is a 56k 'Mr Modem'.

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated as I need to become more proficient at this game...(Judging by the ass kickin' I get when I play some of you clan type peoples!) biggrin.gif

Take it easy...

Lucutus of Borg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

You need a better computer. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SCRUB

I have a P133 with 6.2 mb ram
    and a 'MRs modem' and it runs it fine !!!!

downgrade i think

i will be happy to take 500 mb ram off you smile.gif

and a suitable mate for Mrs modem .

SCRUB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Jeez I remember when half a gig was lot.

Hard disk space that is wink.gif

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

lol, sometimes...

....just sometimes....

I think that some of you don't take my Q3A pain seriously!

wink.gif

Lucutus of Borg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

[This message has been edited by Jedi (edited 29-11-99).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

Lucutus,

For the last few weeks I have been suffering from the same effects. It was seriously ****ing me off.
    My spec is very similar to your own except I have a 56k Pace modem.
    Originally when I installed my modem, it was setup for 56k flex and not V90. The modem was working well with out any packet loss. But when I upgraded it to V90 to get a better ping, etc, I got the same Interrupt issues you have. It thought this was the issue so I whet back to 56k Flex. Just this weekend however when in dublin I decided to invest in a new phone cable because it was cheap. When I put the new cable in and Upgraded to V90 all the interrupts and timeout issues were gone and it ran as smooth as a babys arse, (before you start I never felt a babys arse, Heard it from Gary Glitter) smile.gif. Anyway, This may or may not be the issue you have but it might help a bit.
    Also on the same point. Most modems allow you to place a string in your modem settings in control panel. Not sure where you where you can get them, but what it does is limit your connection to say, 44000. This gives you a more stable ping and reduces packet loss. Ask some of the lads and lassys on IRC maybe they can help you out.

Best of luck,

Jedi.

http://www.angelfire.com/ut/jediquake3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Nice one Jedi,

I'll change my cable and give it a shot tonight after I take a swift look at the new Messiah demo.

Thanks for the pointers man, nethouse on Friday?

Lucutus of Borg

Advertisement