Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Clicksilver not working, HELP!!

• 29-11-2003 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I got my ZyXEL ADSL modem on Thursday and installed it to Windows 98se, it has a constant USB light and a constant ADSL light, my system tray says I'm connected at 512 etc. but when I try to log in to UTV I get the error "the computer you are dialling is not responding" or something similar. My username and password are correct.

I have spoken to 4 UTV support people but nobody can sort the problem out for me, last person I spoke to eventually said they would have to refer it to their superviser, but I've not heard anything back from them yet.

As a last resort I re-formatted drive C tonight (just in case)
    Took me 3.5 hours to format C, load Windows and find the drivers for my GFX and Sound cards, Modem etc.

Can anyone enlighten me on this one? anyone had a similar problem??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭DecTenToo

Is that the 630 USB?

Got to ask, but I assume you've gone through the user id/password/driver checks and that they're ok? Is UTV satisified that the line is working?

I seem to recall that there are occasionally problems with some versions of Win98 and the 630 and it has to be installed as a bridged modem, which means you need to setup a PPoE client.

As this is basically the eircom service resold, have you had a look at http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net to see if there are any problems?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This sounds like a similar problem to what some people have been posting on the utv support group about in a thread called 'terrible connection problems'. There has been no response there from UTV as yet but one poster has suggested the following

'Having the same problem with invalid username/password.

Quick and dirty solution is to type in a deliberately wrong password, wait
    for it to reject then type real password.

Always works straight away for me after I do that'

Hardly satisfactory overall but just might work for you.

If you are new to UTV the newsserver is

news.utvinternet.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Thanks for the info

After waiting since Thursday for Charles the supervisor to call I finally rang support again tonight and was informed that Charles is away till next Friday!!

It seems that a line check will have to be orderd from Eircom now, which can take up to 5 working days for the result.

Will let ye know the outcome:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Neil_Sedaka

It seems that a line check will have to be orderd from Eircom now, which can take up to 5 working days for the result.

Why on earth are they ordering a line check? If you have a constant adsl light, there's nothing wrong with your line. The problem is at UTV's end.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I thought the line check was done already in order to confirm ADSL availability?

Support said that they can't think of anything else to try!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Neil_Sedaka
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I thought the line check was done already in order to confirm ADSL availability?

Support said that they can't think of anything else to try!

Sometimes they do another line check if your connection is flakey, but you just can't authenticate with utv...
    Did they say they'd escalate it to someone with more experience? You should post about this in the utv.support newsgroup, if they don't bother their ass to help you, cancel your contract. After all, they're not supplying the service you're paying for.

After waiting since Thursday for Charles the supervisor to call I finally rang support again tonight and was informed that Charles is away till next Friday!!

Charles has posted several times to the UTV support newgroup today.
    You should post about this in the utv.support newsgroup, if they don't bother their ass to help you, cancel your contract. After all, they're not supplying the service you're paying for.

Am I really seeing this? Is this really Joanne? :) Seriously though the UTV support group has of late only been a pale shadow of its former self:(

You should also make sure that you do not pay them for a service that you are not getting!!!! Tell them that you will cancel your direct debit immediately and will not reinstate it until you are receiving a service.

Yeah, I see Charles has posts on the forum, Only found out tonight that he is the super in question.

Come on Charles, save me from this misery, if it's not a problem at my end at least tell me so I can stop re-formatting, second-guessing, un-installing, re-installing, pulling-hair-out etc.

Have you actually posted to the forum you might get his attention there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

My m8 had the exact same problem with UTV. The ADSL light is on but no-one's at home. After a week of calls, it suddenly started working. Some problem at the exchange.
    Sorry, can't be more positive, which exchange are you on btw.

dub 45, I just posted this thread on the UTV support newgroup for Charles, so we'll see!

tonky, thanks for that info, I let Charles know about that too, I'm in Harold's

Cross/Terenure btw, not too sure where my exchange is.

Best of luck with it Neil by the way I like all those great records you made:)

Up and running today, turned out to be a dodgy modem!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Paul-UTVI

Yea, unfortunately we've had one or two faulty modems but it's only discovered after doing all the usual checks and then sending out a modem as a last resort. There's no way to test the modem without also testing the line.

Good to see you up and running, have fun.

Regards,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Paul, I don't want my modem, can I get a refund? :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Paul-UTVI

A refund of €0.00 as it was a free modem? Certainly! Post it back to the normal address ;)

Cheers,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Paul-UTVI
    A refund of €0.00 as it was a free modem? Certainly! Post it back to the normal address
    Look lads, we've found the UTV office comedian! :)

adam

Advertisement