Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB - When does the download meter reset?

• 29-11-2003 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Anyone know (cant get thru to IOL) when the download meter for your particular account gets reset to zero every month?

Is it on the first day of the calendar month (i.e. 1st Dec) or
    is reset on the date which your account became active ? (i.e. 26th Nov)

TIA,
    James.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

First of every month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

Originally posted by Ba$tard
    ...Is it on the first day of the calendar month (i.e. 1st Dec) or
    is reset on the date which your account became active ? (i.e. 26th Nov)...

Why, oh why, is this sort of info not given in their FAQ.
    It is a resonable question that everyone must ask, why the secrecy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

No offence OfflerCrocGod, but you are definate about that?

Thanks, James.

Oh yep mine is always reset on the first (it takes a while a couple of hours) and my account was activated on the 20th of the month.....It's just easier for ESAT to deal with the accounts that way instead of remembering and storing each persons activation date. I'm sure other ppl here have IOL accounts they will say the same thing, why do you doubt me?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Why do I doubt you?
    1) I dont really but ESAT seem to have given out alot of false info recently from untrained phone clerks.
    2) I wanna be sure before for I rodger the bandwidth tonight :) 30 days has November :)
    Thanks for the info :)

• Advertisement

Oh no I didn't get it from the Esat monkeys thats info came from personal experience.....also if you look around at other treads you will find ppl who hit 22Gb!:eek: on there IOLBB connections and where not brought up for it so I wouldn't worry to much about going over your cap they'll more then likely just overlook you(probably - as long as it's only one or 4 gigs over).

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭^pt^

I got IOLBB in October and thought the cap was still 5gb, only found out on the 2nd last day of the month I had 3 more gigs of cap... So I downloaded some large stuff over night.

I found after the counter reset that about 1 gig of it had counted as part of the new month, not sure why. If you're doing end of the month downloading it's safer to do it 2/3 days before the end, rather than on the last day. Then again, if they don't do anything about you going over the limit..

Also it seems the cap is only download now, not upload? The FAQ says "transfer" rather than download, but the automated warning on the usage meter only warns you about your download, not including your upload. Who knows the mysterious ways in which Esat work!

The cap gets calculated only after you disconnect from the internet so if you connect download 1Gb and check your meter it will still have the same amount as when you first logged in. You afto disconnect and let them calculate the amount you downloaded from your just-disconnected session and let them add it on, next time you connect that 1Gb should be counted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

The cap gets calculated only after you disconnect from the internet so if you connect download 1Gb and check your meter it will still have the same amount as when you first logged in. You afto disconnect and let them calculate the amount you downloaded from your just-disconnected session and let them add it on, next time you connect that 1Gb should be counted.

Good to see someone knows their stuff. Makes sense to me. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Yep, I wondered how that meter thing worked.
    From looking around, I don't think the Cap is being enforced by either IOL, UTV or Eircom. Have any of you been charged extra for excessive use? I think they just "reserve the right" to charge.
    So, nothing to worry about, right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement