Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a LAN connection

Options
  • 29-11-2003 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭

Hi I've been having some problems with my new router (D-link DSL - 504) one of my win2k machines refuses to accept the IP address given to it by the router, eventhough it's set to automagically accept one from the router. I can't figure out why it wont - it just wont the IP is always 0.0.0.0 so I've given up on that and decided to hard-code the settings in. This is were my problems begin I put IP 192.168.0.3 in (it's free) tell it the gateway is the router and the DNS is the router and my Home Network works but the internet wont are there any settings I'm missing?. Does win2k need more info?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

dns 194.125.133.10
    make sure you can ping that IP first

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ando I'm using Esat they have ICMP blocked so no pinging for me!:D, doesn't much matter though cause I've just got it to work!WHOOO! what I did was change the IP from 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.254 and set up my computer to connect to a home network not a business network and VOILA it works......kinda odd but I'm not complaining windows is really weird.

I may have found the problem my "broken" win2k box has DHCP Client Service set to manual while the one that works has it set to Automatic....that could be it, doesn't matter it works:D:D:D:D, i'll test that later ta anyway Ando for replying to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Ando I'm using Esat they have ICMP blocked so no pinging for me!:D, doesn't much matter though cause I've just got it to work!WHOOO! what I did was change the IP from 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.254 and set up my computer to connect to a home network not a business network and VOILA it works......kinda odd but I'm not complaining windows is really weird.

I may have found the problem my "broken" win2k box has DHCP Client Service set to manual while the one that works has it set to Automatic....that could be it, doesn't matter it works:D:D:D:D, i'll test that later ta anyway Ando for replying to me.

if the DHCP Service is set to manual, surely it's just a case of turning it on?? then it should work fine?? *shrug* :)

for XP networking:
    a home network according to XP is basically a workgroup, but a business network involves file servers, multiple accounts logging on via a centralised network server, domains, and all the other stuff that no normal people need to bother with :)

Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It was the Service!, I enabled it ( Automatic ) and put all the settings to automagic IP address and it works!. I'll just go and kick myself now - AHOOO, I'm such an idiot!. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

i'm glad i could help *bows* :D

:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement