Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB version

Options
  • 29-11-2003 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

how do i find out what version of USB i have,
    i need USB 2.0 for ipod.
    Devince manager doesnt tell me the version ?!
    running XP pro.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

What MB are you running??? Ah heckhere download this proggy here it should tell you everything about your comp including it's favorite colour.

Operating System --> System Drivers --> driver starting with usb if it's USB 2.0 it will tell; by the way if you have any USB 1.1/1.0 hw plugged into the same Root Hub as your IPod the Root hub will slow down and you wont get full USB 2.0 speed:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

u can use usb1.1 for ipod but it just wont be as fast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

usb.jpg

help ? i dont know ?! what do i have .
    Cr3m0 the apple site says i need usb 2.0

what motherboard do u have?

• Advertisement

Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard ID <DMI>
    Motherboard Name Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 8100

Front Side Bus Properties
    Bus Type Intel NetBurst
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
    Effective Clock 400 MHz
    Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
    Bus Type Dual RDRAM
    Bus Width 16-bit
    Real Clock 400 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 800 MHz
    Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Motherboard Manufacturer
    Company Name Dell Computer Corporation
    Product Information http://www.dell.com
    BIOS Download http://support.dell.com

You dont need USB 2.0 it would be preferred if you had USB 2.0 for it to use the higher speeds, any USB 2.0 device is backward compatible with USB 1.1, firstly.

Secondly, do you have USB 2.0? from the screenshot I can't say....that doesn't mean you dont have hw capable of supporting USB 2.0:p, the thing is WinXP will only let you install drivers to support USB 2.0 (if you have it), from Microsoft Update so you must run that and go to the driver section and see what it say (it will scan your computer to see if you dont have certain patches - be patient), install all the critical patches and drivers it will let you(if you have BB....if not just the drivers, it's best if you kept up to date anyway). If you've checked it already and are up to date then right click your computer icon and go to Propeties and click on Hardware and click on Device Manager go to the very bottom of the displayed list and open it up. The list your looking for is - or should be called Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Once open read what it says is Root Hub somewhere...if it says 2.0 your two if not (and you went to Micro Update) your not.

I'd say no that dell seems to be pretty old....
    Adding USB 2.0 support requires a new mini-port, Usbehci.sys. USB 2.0 support updates Usbport.sys, Usbhub.sys, and other key USB support drivers. Windows XP also uses a host controller-specific coinstaller, Hccoin.dll, which provides for interaction between the USB 2.0 controller and companion host controllers.

From Microsofts website you dont seem to have those drivers. Give me more info on your dell PC, but seriously it DOESN'T matter USB 2.0 is backward compatiable with USB 1.1, it was designed like that from the very begining!.

Oopps when I sayd go to Device manager I meant after you installed whatever you got from Microsofts website not now cause you have already sayd it was of no help, I should have been more specific sorry.

but seriously it DOESN'T matter USB 2.0 is backward compatiable with USB 1.1, it was designed like that from the very begining!.

Oh ok, thanks alot for your time, il just use whatever i have (probably 1.1) and if its slow il get a fireware card maybe or whatever.
    Thanks alot .

• Advertisement

First, the USB device stack for Windows XP is designed to facilitate the addition of a USB 2.0 miniport driver, usbehci.sys, that Microsoft has developed for the purpose of supporting high-speed USB 2.0 technology. This miniport driver is not included with the initial release of Windows XP, but is available in Windows XP (SP1 and later) and Windows Server 2003 and later operating systems.

Do you have usbehci.sys??, do you have WinXP SP1?. From here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Oh ok, thanks alot for your time, il just use whatever i have (probably 1.1) and if its slow il get a fireware card maybe or whatever.

A USB2 pci card would be another option too.

a usb cable doesn't come with an ipod only a firewire one so the best option would be to buy the firewire card.

firewire also charges your ipod from the firewire connection where as usb 2 doesn't

you have to pay about 40 euros to get the USB cable so i suggest you spend that money and get a firewire card.

balls.............

Thanks

Advertisement