Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ripping cds

Options
  • 29-11-2003 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Does any one know any good free cd rippers(to mp3).
    Currently using Cd ex.

and in the settings menu, it has layers , i think, with the option of MpegI,II. ?
    isnt Mpeg for video ?
    please let me know, as i need to rip alot of cds for moi ipod.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

For ripping, I've found nothing better than "Simple MP3 maker". It can rip CDs to MP3 or Wav. And it can convert them too. Although I think there's a mac program designed for the I Pod. I Tunes? That'd probably be better. Ask on the Mac board maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Exact Audio Copy (www.exactaudiocopy.de) is excellent. It's not that fast but it makes perfect copies everytime, it links to the CDDB and it's very customisable.

I strongly recommend it, I use it to make OGG files, but there's no point in you doing that because iPods don't play OGGs. However, it encodes to MP3s or WAVs by default and it's easy to use. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

There is ONLY 1 programme for ripping CDs
    Musicmatch Jukebox 8.1

NOt free but GREAT

CDDB support and FAST!!

Me anda friedn ripped his whole collection in under 2 days.. That's over 300 cds!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

another vote for exact audio copy aswell.

but i sometimes use itunes cos sometimes the cddb sometimes doesn't have a certain album. gosh i used sometimes a lot there didn't i?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I use Alto MP3 Maker - it's fairly fast, has a plethora of options, and has FreeDB support instead (which is free) of CDDB/Gracenote support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Originally posted by malico
    There is ONLY 1 programme for ripping CDs
    Musicmatch Jukebox 8.1

NOt free but GREAT

I used to use that, simply because it was so fast, before I knew anything about ripping. Unfortunately however, it only really works well with perfectly unscratched CDs. Even still the record quality is much lower than a LAME based program (such as CDex or Exact Audio Copy). And as an additional bonus, if your CD is scratched you'll either:

a) get a whole lot of record-style pops in your finished track, which is incredibly annoying

b) see that musicmatch tries to record in analogue, from the entire system mixer, meaning that all the sounds from your mic and system (yes, including all those dings that windows makes) will be recorded into the track you're trying to copy.

There's only 2 pieces of ripping software I'd be more inclined to avoid than Musicmatch, and they're Windows Media Player and Real Jukebox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

If you absolutly positivly have to have the most accurate, most reliable, copy-protection defeating, so cheap it's FREE, CD ripper.

It's got to be Exact Audio Copy www.exactaudiocopy.de

tribble

Advertisement