Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail server

Options
  • 30-11-2003 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    I have a few machines that are in different rooms at home and I am also setting up a wireless network for my laptop, I would like to be able to access my eircom.net e-mail from all the various machines without having different mails on the different machines, so what I’m looking for is something that I can do in order to have my mail downloaded to my central server PC which can then be accessed by all the rest of my machines, obviously to use Microsoft exchange would be overkill. What can I do ?

I use outlook 2003 if that’s of any addition.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

I can tell ya the best way of doing this, well what i call the simplist!

my mail is IMAP so no problem, but I do have one machine, my Fileserver (500G storage machine) is also my Primary Download Server, using Nova torrent. I didn;t want to have many different m,achines dowin the downloading, so It made sence to do it this way!

I installed Windows Advanced Server 2003 on the machine and use the Remote Desktop function to access it and manage my downloads. Then I share out the download folder (\\PDS\Download)

So my advice is to set one of your servers as you mail client and just connect that way.

Or, failing using an XP based OS, use WinVNC

Ian

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Not a Windows solution, but one that'll work with Windows clients, and of course it's free. If you have a spare box or an underpowered box you're thinking of retiring, lob Linux on it; Fedora or Debian or whatever takes your fancy. Make sure the imap200x and fetchmail packages are installed. Now install Webmin via RPM and call up http://localhost:10000/ on the machine. Log in with the root password you set on the box and choose the Networking tab, and the Extended Internet Services module. Click on "imap" and enable it. Now choose the Servers tab and the Fetchmail module. Click on Add A New Server and fill in the details, pointing Local User to the regular user you set up when installing Linux. Now point your clients at this machine using IMAP and voila, you have a local mail server and permanent mail archive. With a little extra work you can make it multi-drop for more than one user, and you can also add procmail and SpamAssassin for sorting and filtering your mail. (Alternatively, you can set up with a hoster that supports these programs remotely and save yourself downloading the crap in the first place.)

adam

Advertisement