Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notepad/Wordpad question

Options
  • 30-11-2003 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Situation : When ever one opens a *.txt file of a large size the computer decides it can't open it with notepad.exe and decides instead to offer to open the *.txt file with wordpad.exe.

For me thiis is not a major problem. The problem is it ASKS me do I want to do this alternative arrangement EVERYTIME it needs to do this - to which the answer of course is always YES!

So I was wondering is there a way (in Win98) to tell the computer to automatically comply everytime the scenario (of needing to use wordpad) occurs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

I'm sure there is a registry hack (start>run>regedit) that would do precisly what you
    want.

Another solution is to siimply use wordpad all the time.
    To make windows default to wordpad simply hold shift, right click on any .txt file and click "Open with" (win 2k and XP users may have to click "Choose program" aswell) on the resulting drop box.
    Select wordpad and tick the "Allways use this...." box.

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭kernel32.dll

If you open Windows Explorer, go to the Tools menu & then select the Folder OPtions menu item.
    Then click on the File Types tab, find TXT or whatever extension your text files has, and associate that extension with Wordpad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm sure some nice person would post a link to a replacement for notepad that runs on win9x and handles text files > 64K

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

download.com has tons on offer (note tab, note plus, note this, note that)
    Personally, i like textpad ( www.textpad.com [shareware], i believe). it might be a bit bloated for your liking but i'd strongly recommend you give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

try context, lovely editor, can use it for programming aswell....

• Advertisement
Advertisement