Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus?

Options
  • 30-11-2003 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hello my a friend of mine accidentally recieved a version through an email a friend of his sent him.

NAV detected the virus and quarantined it however he can't boot his computer now and is receiving the error message ntoskrnl.exe (from system32) is missing. He tried to get into safe mode but couldn't (i'm not sure if that parts of the problem or if he just wasn't able to do it himself i just told him to keep pressing F8 on booting).

Anywho does anyone know this virus and is solution, i'm going up to him this evening to take a look at his machine. Would prefare not to reformat and install windows and was going to try to repair the installation if i could.

Any help appreciated

Data

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    Hello my a friend of mine accidentally recieved a version through an email a friend of his sent him.

NAV detected the virus and quarantined it however he can't boot his computer now and is receiving the error message ntoskrnl.exe (from system32) is missing. He tried to get into safe mode but couldn't (i'm not sure if that parts of the problem or if he just wasn't able to do it himself i just told him to keep pressing F8 on booting).

Anywho does anyone know this virus and is solution, i'm going up to him this evening to take a look at his machine. Would prefare not to reformat and install windows and was going to try to repair the installation if i could.

Any help appreciated

Data

hmmm, without the actual virus code that NAV would've given I dont think you'll find much help on the matter ... if the virus did actually damage the OS, there may be help yet.
    during the summer i worked in IT in a bank, and i came up against something similar an awful lot....some could be fixed using the OS's repair feature (NT, 2K, XP) but most of them ended up just being wiped and reinstalled .... annoying, but norton ghost is a wonderful tool!

all in all, let us know if you were able to fix it without a reinstall ... if not, rather you than me :)

Daniel

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sigh - Which version of windows - NT / 2K / XP - Home or Pro...

Switch off the computer before you put a disk in it.
    On a good computer with the SAME OS, format a disk and in a dos prompt copy three files to it.
    [php]
    Xcopy c:\boot.ini a: /H /S
    Xcopy c:\ntldr a: /H /S
    Xcopy c:\ntdetect.com a: /H /S
    [/php]
    Retry - if not work then check that the path in boot.ini matches the windows folder location...eg: c:\winnt or c:\windows

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

came across this a few days ago,

All i done was delete the file in safe mode and that was it.....but u don't seem to be able to get into safemode, i find that rather strange. what OS is he using

Win98 = Ctrl for menu
    XP,2000,NT = F8

Also if you press F8 too soon, some BIOS's could start loading a boot menu for devices so maybe he shud wait till the POSt screen passes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

found out the problem its turns out the virus and the missing file thingy where unrelated. the computer wasn't booting because the keyboard wasn't plugged in properly. i found it sus when i wasn't able to access the bios or boot from cd. i think NAV dealt with the virus fine its not in quarantine then i downloaded adaware and cleaned the crap out of his computer along with a load of crap programs that he had managed to install.

happy days thanks for the help

regards

data

p.s it was xp pro

Advertisement