Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kazaa Lite SLOW download speed

• 30-11-2003 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

hope some of you can help me out here.

Problem is that since I reinstalled XP, my Kazaa Lite download speeds have become unbearable slow. Even when I try to download a very popular song with lots of sources I get speeds of somewhere between 0.5 to 3kb/s. I am on 512mbps broadband!! I used to get 50+kbps on popular mp3's

Have you got any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

check your options to see if your functioning as a supernode, that could slow you down a bit. its automatically set to yes in the newer versions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

this happened to me too, i assumed it was my ISP.

BTW, i'm not a supernode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Try disabling any firewalls if you're running any or else run them through SOCKS. This is usually the problem, I turn off my firewall if I'm downloading off a P2P program and then turn it on again when i'm finished. The Windows XP firewall is very basic and cumbersome.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    This is usually the problem, I turn off my firewall if I'm downloading off a P2P program and then turn it on again when i'm finished.
    Guess who's PC will be a Zombie soon...

BB without a firewall - you are a danger to other net users- risk your pc being controlled by spamers or msblaster etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'm having the same kinda problem but I'm not using WinXP, maybe it's just the network is being attacked or slowed down on purpose?:(, by the ISPs in EIRE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Sounds paranoid, keep your PC healthy and not being spammed. Do Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy and also SpyBlaster. I do like at least once a week and not surprise that all those crap like Gator, data miners, unnecessary cookies running inside Windows. Not to forget, firewall is important. Check your PC for free at www.symantec.com for vulnerabilities, etc. Good for broadband users!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Try disabling any firewalls if you're running any or else run them through SOCKS. This is usually the problem, I turn off my firewall if I'm downloading off a P2P program and then turn it on again when i'm finished
    Sounds like you need to get yourself a better firewall

Originally posted by MrPinK
    Sounds like you need to get yourself a better firewall

I'm running behind a router, so I guess a firewall is less neccessary for me.
    It is safe enough to turn your firewall off for an hour or so while you download as long as you don't leave it off all night or anything. Obviously if kazaa works fine when you're behind a firewall then there's no need to disable your firewall, but I find a dramatic reduction in download speeds with p2p software when my firewalls on.

I use the standard windows xp firewall and it's pretty basic but I don't find the need for a better one.

I'm behind a router aswell I'm convinced that it's causing this slow down

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

An hour eh ?

Have you heard of the concept of the Warhol worm, or one that could infect the entire Internet in 15 minutes.

ONLY it's not a concept AND it only took 10 minutes :eek:

The SLAMMER (Sapphire worm) a Microsoft SQL specific virus - infected 90% of all vunerable M$SQL servers connected to the internet within 10 Minutes in Feburary.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2720337.stm
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-983108.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'm running behind a router, so I guess a firewall is less neccessary for me.
    It is safe enough to turn your firewall off for an hour or so while you download as long as you don't leave it off all night or anything. Obviously if kazaa works fine when you're behind a firewall then there's no need to disable your firewall, but I find a dramatic reduction in download speeds with p2p software when my firewalls on.

I use the standard windows xp firewall and it's pretty basic but I don't find the need for a better one.
    seriously, dude, stop saying things like that, and sort your security out. I really can't believe after the summer of virii, trojans, worms etc. we had that people are still taking such a lax view of PC security.

people like you are the reason all those problems had such a bad effect on net users.
    that and crappy sys admins.

and microsoft

and spotty 15 year old script kiddies.

and probably slow acting isp's too.

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    An hour eh ?

Have you heard of the concept of the Warhol worm, or one that could infect the entire Internet in 15 minutes.

ONLY it's not a concept AND it only took 10 minutes :eek:

The SLAMMER (Sapphire worm) a Microsoft SQL specific virus - infected 90% of all vunerable M$SQL servers connected to the internet within 10 Minutes in Feburary.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2720337.stm
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-983108.html

I understand what you're saying and although your example refers to servers it's a valid point. Of course disabling your firewall means you're more vunerable
    but..
    I've been running my PC on and off without a firewall for almost a year now, I've never got a worm or virus or anything like that. While everyone I know was getting infected by the blaster worm, I was safe because I had downloaded the patch two weeks earlier.

My point is that if you patch your PC regularly, don't leave your connection vunerable for prolonged periods and have a decent virus scanner, you will reduce your risks considerably.

Again, I would like to stress that I only do this because I see a significant increase in speed on P2P networks.

Again, I would like to stress that I only do this because I see a significant increase in speed on P2P networks.
    My point was that if you had a decent firewall (and there are many excellent free ones) it wouldn't be effecting your speed at all and you could remain protected all the time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not sure how kazaa works, but if it's anything like emule/xmule with its low/high IDs, then the router is probably causing the slow down.
    You'll need to configure the router to open a kazaa port for each machine, then change the default kazaa port for each installation of kazaa in your network to correspond to one of the open ports.
    If you don't do this, each computer will send out through the same port and the received information will come back to this same port on the router, where it will get stuck, as the router won't know to which PC it should send the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

I've been running my PC on and off without a firewall for almost a year now,
    Wow, a whole year?

You obviously have nothing to worry about then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by pickarooney
    Not sure how kazaa works, but if it's anything like emule/xmule with its low/high IDs, then the router is probably causing the slow down.
    You'll need to configure the router to open a kazaa port for each machine, then change the default kazaa port for each installation of kazaa in your network to correspond to one of the open ports.
    If you don't do this, each computer will send out through the same port and the received information will come back to this same port on the router, where it will get stuck, as the router won't know to which PC it should send the info.
    Excuse me for being blunt about this, but what a total load of cobblers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by pickarooney

A router that doesn't route? What a fantastic idea!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Talk about askin' for it. Where's that Noddy fella, must be around here somewheres ....
    Must be a verrry special router.

Original post from HelterSkelter:
    "Problem is that since I reinstalled XP, my Kazaa Lite download speeds have become unbearable slow. Even when I try to download a very popular song with lots of sources I get speeds of somewhere between 0.5 to 3kb/s. I am on 512mbps broadband!! I used to get 50+kbps on popular mp3's"

The problem has only arisen since you reinstalled XP.
    AFAIK Kazaa uses port 1214 which should be enabled on your firewall if it's on.

Try reinstalling Kazaa, you've probably done this already.

Also I found this on the 'Net:

I recently downloaded Kazaa Lite which seemed to work fine at first. Trouble is that after 10 minutes or so of downloading it just slows down to a trickle. I have cable 512 connection so i dont understand why this is.
    : The only remedys i find are to restart my pc then turn kazaa lite back on for another 10 minutes of fast downloading, or pause specific downloads then resume them. This is a problem which seems common on all other p2p programmes i have used so im beginning to think its my computer. Someone please help!!!!!!

Right i used to use Kazaa, then went to kazaa lite, and had the same problem as yours, you need to downoad a file called Diet Kazaa, it is easy enough to install! When you search for a file on kazaa, at most you will get 7 users, EVEN if the file is really popular, and maybe only one of those users will have a good connection! What diets kazaa does is it keeps on searchin, and at times i have had 50 users, for one file! so the speed never gets slower than 40kbps!

I've been on the Internet for 7 years without ever using a firewall or a virus scanner EVER, from Dial-up to BB, I have never been hit by a virus nor have had my machine fubared. You need to keep up with the patches use a non-monopolistic browser/e-mail client close down any un-neccessary Services and take care what you download and run; you should be fine then, pretty simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Excuse me for being blunt about this, but what a total load of cobblers!

He's describing basically that the router needs to have port forwarding setup on it.
    Without port forwarding the router will in effect not know where to send the packets.
    To fix this problem you guys need to find out what ports need to be forwarded (Should be in the KAzza docs) and forward them.
    Port forwarding looks like this.

Say your external Internet address is 159.134.96.200 and your internal network is 192.168.0.0/24
    Then you could have:
    159.134.96.200:1300 -> 192.168.0.10:1300 (PC 1)
    159.134.96.200:1301 -> 192.168.0.11:1301 (PC 2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by bricks
    He's describing basically that the router needs to have port forwarding setup on it.
    Without port forwarding the router will in effect not know where to send the packets.
    He's wrong, if that was the case you'd have to set that up for all applications to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Tonky>> Thanks for your suggestion, I installed Diet Kazaa and it has improved somewhat, I can download a popular mp3 at about 12kbps now but it is still not anywhere was fast as it should be :-( Any other ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    He's wrong, if that was the case you'd have to set that up for all applications to work.

It depends on the way they are written.
    EDonkey/Emule needs port 4662, 4711 TCP and port 4672 UDP – to be forwarded.
    Otherwise you get a lowid.
    So maybe KAzza and Winmx need this port forwarding also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by bricks
    So maybe KAzza and Winmx need this port forwarding also.
    Those two programs don't.

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    You need to keep up with the patches use a non-monopolistic browser/e-mail client close down any un-neccessary Services and take care what you download and run; you should be fine then, pretty simple really.
    That assumes that a patch is released before a worm/virus is widely released. You're putting a lot of fate in the security ppl to always be one step ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Originally posted by HelterSkelter
    Tonky>> Thanks for your suggestion, I installed Diet Kazaa and it has improved somewhat, I can download a popular mp3 at about 12kbps now but it is still not anywhere was fast as it should be :-( Any other ideas?

Yeah stop using kazaa,iv had a 1mb broadband for the last year, and iv recently stopped using kazaa ( 4 months ago ) because of all the fake,buggy,slow downloads.get some bittorrent software,and check a certan super website ;) ,google will reveal all.

CombatCow

Originally posted by Combatcow
    Yeah stop using kazaa,iv had a 1mb broadband for the last year, and iv recently stopped using kazaa ( 4 months ago ) because of all the fake,buggy,slow downloads.get some bittorrent software,and check a certan super website ;) ,google will reveal all.

CombatCow

Yeah bit torrent is a whole lot better than kazaa, only problem is that you wont find anything obscure there, and you don't have to disable your firewall to get decent speeds from it <sarcasm>(yippee!)</sarcasm>
    Expect speeds to be up closer to 50kb/s with broadband and keep your download window open for a couple of hours when your finished - Sharing is caring.

That assumes that a patch is released before a worm/virus is widely released. You're putting a lot of fate in the security ppl to always be one step ahead.

Well it has worked so far most viruses are spread by idiots lets face it!, most of us here would be able to take care off our machines much better Joe & Jane Homeowner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭manic_monster

Best way is to use ftp sites(non ratio) or music directories if you know how to find them. If you can find one before anyone else you can usually download at top speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

I might get stung with this (since I work for an ISP) - but I agree with OfflerCrocGod. I have been on all kinds of 24/7 connections for a while now. The level of security that I run is low to non existant - and I rarely have any problems. I have found more issues running software firelwalls than what they are worth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement