Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP problem

Options
  • 30-11-2003 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

Windows xp is not working well for me at the moment, I bought a new cordless mouse and keyboard and when I installed their drivers everything started going wrong. I cant open any files of folders or run programs in xp even though it loads up ok, my computer is dual booting and everything works ok in linux. I know that xp uses its own drivers for things like that and I was thinking it might be because the two drivers are conflicting or something along those lines, because I installed the drivers on a different hard drive to the one xp is on
    Anyone have any ideas?? I've tried everything I can think of except getting a hammer and teaching it whos boss (though this might happen soon;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭kernel32.dll

Have you tried to uninstall teh new devide, and then make sure that Windows reverts back to a functional state?

Were teh new drivers signed, or did you ignore the warning sialog that pops up by default for unsigned drivers?

Another option, is to check the web for newer drivers fro your device and install them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

maybe I/O conflicts?

are they USB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

they are connected via the two ps/2 ports. I cant actually access the web from the computer, im using my laptop now. I cant see what went wrong, the mouse and keyboard were working fine until i installed the drivers and utilities for them. I think I will have to format the drive and reinstall xp :mad:
    Thanks for the help;)

If you're using WIn XP, when XP starts to load, press F*, select boot in Safe Mode.

THis will load Windows in a minimal Driver state.

When loaded, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and remove the utilities that you installed.

THen reboot the machine back into normal mode.
    THis should sort it.

****e...that was supposed to say 'press F8...'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

and Thats why theres an Edit Button.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Originally posted by Webmonkey
    and Thats why theres an Edit Button.....:D

oooh, well look at ME ... aren't I so clever????

:p:D

Daniel, who's just seen the edit button for the first time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Conlai

Might be a long shot but I came across a virus while back that did the same thing in Win2k. Used norton to identify it (couldn't remove it) then got the removal tool from Symantecs web site, sorted it out grand.
    Also had XP doing something similar on my own system when I updated my logitech cordless mouse drivers. Took out both mouse & KB, USB & PS/2, had to fdisk & format. Was not a happy camper.

Advertisement