Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surround Sound Speakers for my Room

Options
  • 30-11-2003 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of getting some surround sound speakers for christmas in my room. I was wondering if it would be worth it though. I would be using them for my ps2,and PC.I have my Pc linked to my TV so i can watch DVD's through that so that would be cool but one of the main reasons i would by them would be for all my music ive downloaded. Do they give off good sound when it comes to music? One of my main worries would be that they would be a bit too loud?Any recommendations

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Creative have some affordable but good surround sound speakers.
    Creative
    I'd go for 5.1, as I don't see any real need for anymore until DVD audio tales off more.

One of my main worries would be that they would be a bit too loud?

By the way, speakers do have a volume control you know... :confused:

Obviously, the main reason for getting surround sound is for DVDs and games, though they're not exactly going to enhance mp3s very much, unless you buy a damn good set of speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

if you'll be able to get Klipsch Promedia 5.1 GET IT!

the music would be in only 2 channels, not 5 and Klipsch are one of the bests for music

more and more DivXs start to appear in AC3 coding, so 2.1 in action scenes the sound disappears(because it's being splitted to 5 channels, but there are only 2 so 3 channels are lost), so it'd be good to get 5.1

Creative 5.1 are good too! i have "Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 Digital" do a search in google for that name, if you find them in 5.1 version, they are very very good too! the sound is very clear! i don't know if they are better than Klipsch but they are pretty awesome!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

TimAy, how much are you looking to spend?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Actually throw me in on the suggestions here too as it's also what I want for Xmas. Mostly want the 5.1 speakers for DVDs and games - I have a 5.1 soundcard.

Two things:

1) Be nice to be able to use the speakers with the TV in the future - can Creative speakers, etc. be used in this manner?
    2) €200ish upper limit.

Ta guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

1. Sure!
    2. hahah Good Luck sir!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i got creative inspire 5300 in my room, cheap and great sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

me gots the Cambridge megaworks 550. An excellent set of speakers especially for music a bit expensive though, but hey 500watts of power:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

u cant go wrong with creative
    plus they offer free shippin 2 ireland

they currently have a 5.1 speaker set for 80 euro and its well worth it

Sound Blaster® Surround 5.1
    This kit combines the Sound Blaster Live! Player 5.1 card with DeskTop Theatre DTT2200 speakers for the ultimate in great value PC surround sound.
    MORE INFORMATION €66.03 EX VAT

with free shippin this is awesome

if u want something a little more upmarket then get the digital 5.1
    http://is.europe.creative.com/estore/product.asp?prod=375

free shipping and it seems no vat they prices are fantastic

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by IrishMike

if u want something a little more upmarket then get the digital 5.1
    http://is.europe.creative.com/estore/product.asp?prod=375

Ohh it works with DVD players as well - seems exactly what I want. Deadly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

If your budget goes near €1000, I suggest a complete 5.1 system like Acoustic Energy Aego P5. You can get this by ringing Richersounds in Belfast. Excellent shipping and customer support. A friend has this as his home-cinema kit. Include a decoder for Dolby/DTS and very compact speakers. Good reviews from hi-fi magazines. This model has been in the market since more than a year ago. Definitely a package for home cinema but can be used with PCs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Home Entertainment board ahoy.... *moved from Technology*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I suggest a complete 5.1 system like Acoustic Energy Aego P5.

Seconded. I have this system on my PC and it is superb, very musical too. I use the speakers for home recording too, and when I transfer a recording to my main studio the mix is still excellent, meaning the Aego's are more accurate than their size would lead you to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

well,apart from wanting a surround sound system for dvd and games,i want a generally good speaker sysem for music.how do 5.1 systems fair when listening to music?-i know that the music is only 2 channels.
    heh heh, i know they have a volume control, what i meant was that i didnt want the speakers shaking the whole house and annoying the parents.(they'd be going upstairs)

edit
    I was looking around and the creative 5500 speakers look fairly solid for the price? Anyone have any experience with them?
    also,when hooking them up to a PC, does it matter what sound card i have?do i need an optical input?

Advertisement