Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell is this all about then?

Options
  • 01-12-2003 12:08am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

<insert discussion of the announcement here!>

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I have a few comments/suggestions.

1) Are boards geeks really the right people to figure out what sick kids need ? I know you want to keep this anonymous (despite this sites active userbase and high rankings in the most visited irish websites list and with journalists as users here) but I think the Hospitals should decide what toys they'd like. Otherwise they could end up with 5 of the same thing from other like-minded people.

2) I think what each individual on boards gives should be anonymous. If a list of what to get the various wards is chosen people should pm the person thats organising for that ward and tell them what they are donating(be it money or presents). I don't think it fair for people to post what they are donating as i) it might pressure other people in the group and ii) its turning it into a competition losing the idea that this is for kids not to outdo another boards member.

Further to this I also think that what each private forum or gropuing donates shouldn't be listed, just what the whole of boards has donated, otherwise we might end up with league tables where the Ninjas compete with Illuminati etc

3) Why not form links with these hospitals besides being anonymous and have them down as the charites Boards would suggest their members contribute to ?

4) Why not have a sum from every membership pack go to these charities too, so as well as the membership pack going to help boards a charity is helped at the same time. This might encourage more people to buy membership packs.

5) Should this be a year round initiative not just Christmas ? Everyone does these things during Christmas time but theres very sick kids in the hospitals all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think it's a good idea and I'd happily donate but I also agree with yellum that there should be some system to avoid loads of duplicate presents being bought.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by yellum
    I have a few comments/suggestions.

1) Are boards geeks really the right people to figure out what sick kids need ? I know you want to keep this anonymous (despite this sites active userbase and high rankings in the most visited irish websites list and with journalists as users here) but I think the Hospitals should decide what toys they'd like. Otherwise they could end up with 5 of the same thing from other like-minded people.

I am going to have a quiet word with some care-workers I know today, just to make sure I'm on the right track. I've been doing this for some time with the Gaelcon Charity so I've a reasonable idea of what I'm doing.

2) I think what each individual on boards gives should be anonymous. If a list of what to get the various wards is chosen people should pm the person thats organising for that ward and tell them what they are donating(be it money or presents). I don't think it fair for people to post what they are donating as i) it might pressure other people in the group and ii) its turning it into a competition losing the idea that this is for kids not to outdo another boards member.

I agree, I wont be tracking or publicising what people give or to whom on the site. If people have a specific request to give to one location I'll honour that in private.

"From each according to their means,
    To each according to their needs. "

Further to this I also think that what each private forum or gropuing donates shouldn't be listed, just what the whole of boards has donated, otherwise we might end up with league tables where the Ninjas compete with Illuminati etc

Hmmm. I like the idea of Strikeforces and kudos going to those groups. I'm not going to be listing what each group bought, thats for them to decide. I dont mind if they announce it here though, fair dues to anyone who helps out like...

I'm not going to be doing lists or leagues or fermenting competition between groups. This isnt about that, its about all of us doing what we can to help and looking for nothing back.

3) Why not form links with these hospitals besides being anonymous and have them down as the charites Boards would suggest their members contribute to ?

I do charity work under my own banner. I've used Boards as a vehicle and platform before (and will again) but I am reluctant to involve Boards Ltd in it *formally*.
    I actually cant think of a reason why but it just doesnt sit right with me. I'd rather do this sort of stuff in my own name and if others want to help me out (like they did for the Cycle...) thats great.

4) Why not have a sum from every membership pack go to these charities too, so as well as the membership pack going to help boards a charity is helped at the same time. This might encourage more people to buy membership packs.

Again, if people want to give to charity I think they should give to charity explicitly.
    This has been talked about by the admins before but we came to no agreement. Currently there are only about 50 sponors as we havent got the online payment thing sorted so we're talking about 250 quid at a fiver a pop. I can raise that in my sleep :)

5) Should this be a year round initiative not just Christmas ? Everyone does these things during Christmas time but theres very sick kids in the hospitals all year round.

I do these things all year round :)
    Xmas is the best time to nail people because:
    1. the feel guilty about spending all that money on stuff for people who really probably dont need it. :)

2. They have a bit of cash saved to splurge with.

3. Its xmas, everyone wants to feel good at xmas and giving to charity is a good way of feeling good!

4. Its poignant.

I intend to do more next year but the Santa Strike Force is going to be a seasonal thing for obvious reasons. :)

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    I think it's a good idea and I'd happily donate but I also agree with yellum that there should be some system to avoid loads of duplicate presents being bought.

There is. We're preparing an Amazon Wishlist which handles all of that. We put in what we want and people buy them as they see fit. We specify how many of each game/book/whatever we are looking for and when its been bought (or as many as we want are bought) its automatically removed from the list of options.

Neat eh?

FOR EXAMPLE:
    Penny Arcades list is here.

Thats NOT our list btw, we'll have one up by the end of the day.

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is there any way the Hospitals could claim the income tax back on donations if RSI numbers are supplied with donations ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The suitability of toys will be another factor to consider and that in some cases children are so ill with stuff that is highly contagious that toys they bring/getting in hospital have to remain behind.

Toys for children who are very ill in hospital is a wonderful idea but it has crossed my mind what of those who are not ill but would be having a very poor Christmas indeed. What of getting in tough with St Vincent de Paul or some such similar group.

I know where you are coming from Thead but that sort of thing splits peoples opinions. Some people see StVdP as a Catholic Church thing (not me personally but I've heard it expressed). Others have concerns about supporting social work that the government should do etc... and while SVP is a good cause, people will always argue that one charity is more deserving and why arent we supporting them etc.

Right now I want to keep it simple and uncomplicated. We cant help every unhappy or maltreated or sick or disadvantaged child in the city/country. I wish we could but we can only help a couple of hundred, if that.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by DeVore
    Some people see StVdP as a Catholic Church thing (not me personally but I've heard it expressed).

About the only reason I ever set foot in a Catholic Church is to donate to the SVP (the only other reason is a Catholic friend getting married or buried). The SVP do great work and don't wave the flag of their religion in front of that great work so yes, people should give a few bob to the SVP if they can.

DeVore's idea is a good idea too, I especially like the anonymity (I can't stand the self-promotion that goes on with a lot of charity work, especially since the kudos often doesn't go to the people that work the hardest). The suitability of the toys is being checked out (DeVore said so somewhere in this thread anyway) so I'm all for this, and will be hitting everyone I know for a donation.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Ok.. I bought something from the amazon page.. so now how do I get to boards using www.boards.ie and not have it redirect to amazon ? (prob stupid question but I had thought it would direct after purchase..)

Its a good idea by the way but its a pity it had to be amazon - a uk4.99 book attracted 4.98 postage/packing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by parsi
    Ok.. I bought something from the amazon page.. so now how do I get to boards using www.boards.ie and not have it redirect to amazon ? (prob stupid question but I had thought it would direct after purchase..)

There was a temporary hitch when we set santa.boards.ie to redirect to the amazon page that briefly caused *.boards.ie to redirect to it.

regisaysoops.jpg
    (he really did, "<regi> oops").
    Originally posted by parsi
    Its a good idea by the way but its a pity it had to be amazon - a uk4.99 book attracted 4.98 postage/packing..
    Yes, and advantage in ganging together with a few mates and buying a block of presents I think, the p&p will be less of a bite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Great idea devore, I will certainly buy some books for them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Apart from sick kids, may I suggest another target?

Peter McVerry, a Jesuit, takes homeless boys off the streets, puts them back together, gets them jobs, acts as a father to them in the very best sense.

Any of us could have ended up homeless and sleeping on the streets, if our luck was different, and I think McVerry does a fantastic thing. And believe me, I'm not a fan of any church.

Perhaps he might have a use for some stuff for teenagers? Books, electronics?

I'll mooch around Amazon and find a couple of books today.

I know Peter from a long time ago. He does do good work round the city centre I've seen (and briefly worked) with the lads he takes in. I'll bear it in mind.

While he is a Jesuit he's never turned away any boy to my knowledge nor "educated them in Christ" or anything. I wont direct others efforts towards something they didnt buy into supporting (as I also turned down the VdP) but I have my own donation I might put his way as it *is* a good idea.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Irish_Kamikaze

Takes to long to read nearly as long as Lord Of The Rings the full collection!!

It bores me to see no pictures and mindless (nearly endless) bullpooh!!

Go and get yourself a new sig cuz this one sux:p

:ninja:

Advertisement