Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should we put on the Amazon list?

Options
  • 01-12-2003 12:16am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think things that would be hard to break and dont have a lot of small pieces would be good. I'm leaning towards Xboxen and PS2's and games to go with them because most kids I know are mad into that stuff and they will survive for a year or two anyway!

Other things might be books etc but if anyone has any good ideas feel free to toss them in here...

Beyond "this seems like a really good thing to do" I've charged off into my usually "act first, consider the consequences at a later date" mode.

Do we have any care-workers in the house?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I think going Gamecube would be good idea too.

They're relatively cheap at the moment and have a lot of kid orientated multi-player games MarioKart, Monkey Ball, Super Smash Bros. etc.

On the book front a couple of complete Harry Potter and His Dark Materials sets would hit the spot too maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

What about Second hand things (ie: Still working big tv's for the consoles, or consoles people have grown out of [it can happen!])? If they where in good nick?
    Just an idea, same with good books and things like that.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If someone has something worth collecting (I'm not driving around the city for a single battered copy of Harry Potter) then I will arrange collection.

TV's would be most welcome as we need them for the consoles and sure, TV's are always useful for keeping kids occupied.

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by DeVore
    TV's would be most welcome as we need them for the consoles

ah class
    I asked the question on your other thread

ok - I have a second hand TV Dev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

A lot of the things on the wishlist are aimed at kids that are over the age of 7.
    There are a lot of toddlers and babies that X-Boxes and Harry Potter books will do nowt for. A few simple mobiles and soft toys would be good.... There are sone good bits and pieces in the Preschool section of Smyths

Just an idea.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Had a look at the wish list. I think you should stay away from the GBA and the games - too easy for them to go missing and damaged, nurses to keep track off etc - things may go missing very easily. The 15 x £84.99 - about 1800 eurons worth I think would be better spent on Gamecubes and TV's - and even trollys for the kids who are stuck in bed.

Better games and not too bad on the kids eyesight

I think we should go for Gamecubes

A) Cheaper, ergo more there of

B) Nintendo Consoles are far more forgiving of damage, excessive use and children biting controllers.

C) May not have the best games for 18+ but definity the best for all ages (Monkey ball, Mario, Mario Party etc...are all life abosrbing games, plus innocent fun)

The CTYI/Discworld Strike force is hopeing to get 2-3 consoles, plus 2-3 games and accompanying tv's, thats 3 wards. Shouldn't be more than 500 euro, (Hopeing for 2nd hand TV's).

I'm going to but them from stores in town, if I can get a large enought discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by embee
    A lot of the things on the wishlist are aimed at kids that are over the age of 7.
    There are a lot of toddlers and babies that X-Boxes and Harry Potter books will do nowt for.

Yep, hence most of my suggestions which were books my kids (2y.o. and 4y.o) like or liked (plus Coraline, which is for older kids, but which is a great book). We do need more along those lines, and for even smaller kids. spod suggested http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0746037821/ a minute ago on IRC which looks nice.
    A few simple mobiles and soft toys would be good.... There are sone good bits and pieces in the Preschool section of Smyths

Just an idea.......

Keeping one list would make it easier though. And Amazon do have toys for young children (are we holding off on those until DeVore checks about suitability?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Where's the cat in the hat?? and other Dr. Suess Books!

Oh and puddle lane books -- I used to read them, and there's 5 different stages for the kids to grow up with.

And Enid Blyton books too. /me wishfully remembers the enchanted wood and other tales.

/me stops before i spend all night on amazon!

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement

I say take the Gameboys off the list and their games. Too small, too expensive, too loseable, not multiplayer (important) and a Gamecube is the same price.

just my 2cents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Originally posted by Havelock
    I say take the Gameboys off the list and their games. Too small, too expensive, too loseable, not multiplayer (important) and a Gamecube is the same price.

just my 2cents

And no need for a tv, or a trolley, or to get out of bed. I reckon they should stay.

Books requested above have been added.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The gameboys are grand, if people dont buy them thats ok but they are handy for kids who arent mobile and they could be leant out by the nurses.

Any games with pieces are a bad idea. Furry/cuddly toys are vectors for cross-infection.

We need to be sure we have tv's for any consoles currently I believe we have 2 donated tellies... (Havelock, I've ear marked them for you but if you juggle things so you dont need them that would be better).

DeV.

Advertisement