Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Targets in the Strike Zone.

Options
  • 01-12-2003 12:19am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Who should we give our meagre resources to?

The obvious ones are Temple Street and Crumlin childrens hospitals. The Barretstown gang are always high on my list of people I would see happy.

Anyone wanna toss some more names into the hat?

If you do suggest someone, please please dont tell them because:

a. it will ruin the surprise

b. we probably wont have enough to cover all suggestions, in fact if we cover even the three above we'd be doing remarkably well.

DeV.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Id very much like to see something given to the Childrens ward of Beaumount Hospital for 2 reasons;

A: my son has been attending there for the last year or so and they are giving him the gift of hearing.

B: more importantllt there are some SERIOUSLY ill children in that ward that it wouldnt help at all to cheer up.

anyway thats my tupence worth

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Being a past patient of both Temple St. and Crumlin I'd really like to see one of those institutions benifit.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Right, lets put Beaumont on the list too then. As an inside spy, Raptor, do you know/think they could find a home for a games console? We would probably have to organise a portable TV too...

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

well in the play room they have a telly (albeit a small one but it does the job) they have an original Nintendo so Im sur they could find a place for a more up to date console

nice one Dev. any help I can give just let us know

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

great, thats perfect.

*target acquired*

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

would a second hand portable TV be of any use?

it's in working order - mini me was using it for games up to a few weeks ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

How about the childrens hospital in Tallaght? Or Childline?

I think I can use a second hand telly alright! Twin it with a console (maybe as part of the Knights Strike Force donation?) and I'll get it collected.

DeV.

Didnt know there WAS a childrens hospital in tallaght.

Childline is a contact number service yeah? I didnt think they have children in care. I was thinking about the Barrets Town Gang for that maybe.

DeV.

Yeah, childline is a contact number service so we'll strike that suggestion. The National Childrens Hospital (which was on Harcourt St.) was incorperated into Tallaght hospital along with the Adlilade and Meath hospitals. They operated on my spine when I was a kid so I kinda owe them one.

In fact they have a fundraising page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ooh, actually, I think I have 2 portables (or maybe just one) that I coudl give, in pwo. I'll have a chat to my brother later on.

I also have a PS1 at home that is a bit buggy and crashes from time to time, but I never got around to sending it back to Sony, if that'd be of any use?

:)

There are homes for kids who are taken into care by the state. I don't know where they are but I'm sure they could do with some toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Is it Dublin hospitals only?

If not, I would like to put forward the Childrens Ward in Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda, Co. Louth.

no its not just Dublin Hospitals but there is a question of logisitics and delivery.
    I aint asking Amp to drive to Louth but if we can sort out someway to get stuff to the country places I'm all for it.

I want to wait for a while before committing to anything as I want to see what we have to divvy up. It would be easy to hit 3-4 targets of decent size with a decent gift and some smaller items (like books and whatnot) then spread everything over 10 targets and end up giving some sites very little. The logisitics of the second way of doing it are far far more complex and burdensome.

This year is really a trial and next year I'll have SantaStrikeForce.com or something and we'll organise from November.

DeV.

I have an offer of delivery to the Midlands/West but I dont as yet have a target in that area.
    (Where are the Barrets Town Gang located? Must find out...)

DeV.

Right, I had a look at the Barretstown Gang website (www.barretstowngc.ie/) and they have a wish list which includes a PC!!

Well, guess what Santa's bringing them for christmas *big grin*

Anyone going to Kildare? (wtf IS Kildare thats like south west isnt it?)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

PCs min 300mhz processor, 32MB RAM
    Bless....
    I'm sure people have spares and stuff at home that they can donate.
    I have one sitting at home, but it's 266mhz :)

I have a brand new boxed PC aimed directly at them. I've even found someone to deliver it! Wish I could go myself but there'd be no lift back... :)

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You'll have to get a santa suit dev :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Should I laugh politely at this comment or what? I hope you didn't have to navigate to Bradford all on your own DeV!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I can use my contacts to buy Tv's etc at trade price and maybe beg a free one? I will also volunteer my van for deliveries on one day, sorry cannot do anymore as its the busiest time of the year

Tony

PM switched on
    Originally posted by DeVore
    Right, lets put Beaumont on the list too then. As an inside spy, Raptor, do you know/think they could find a home for a games console? We would probably have to organise a portable TV too...

DeV.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Temple Street saved my eldest kids life couple of years ago so I've a soft spot for them.

They have some stuff but can always use toys and entertainment - the older kids tend to get a bit bored.

The younger kids tend to get all the toys while the pre-teens are a bit left out.
    You can probably count on a TV being there and an old nintendo but afaik there's nothing remotely modern.

Aye Temple Street were very good to me too as a lad. A friend dropped into my flat last night at 12:30 with an XBox, games and controllers. So I'm targetting them with that.

Target 3, acquired. :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Strike Force 3, has an Xbox for Temple Street? Super.
    Tell your friend thanks a million.(Pm me what games etc... so I don't get doubles :))

Am doing a recon of Temple St today or tomorrow. Want a second person if available.
    I'll buy coffee or a drink afterwards.

-Alex

Great Havelock... let us know what the lay of the land is... Particularly the presence of communal TV's is a key point!

I am a little concerned about the ratio of consoles to tv's now... so if you are wondering what to buy as a SF Leader, consider a TV (either from the list of locally and I'll pick it up).

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore

DeV.

Thats where I live Tom and I have a car now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

These guy's would love a delivery of used printer cartridges as a Christmas present so if you or your company have a pile of them, drop them a line.
    Jack & Jill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Kananga,

This would be a brilliant concept if Ergo actually carries out their part of the deal. I tried to recycle with Ergo for two years before giving up in sheer frustration and finding someone else who would actually collect the cartridges. I wouldn't mind helping out Jack & Jill, but I refuse to deal with this crap from Ergo again.

Sorry for off topic post and I'll buy a book from Amazon as my penance

fair enough, you are forgiven :)

Phil, I'll be in touch. Thats great...thanks,

Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Dev, posting three new childrens books plus Xbox game to you this afternoon, apologies had another xbox game but hubby pointed out it wasn't suitable for kids. Best of luck in the Santa Strike campaign!!
    louise moore

Advertisement