Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strike Leaders post here.

Options
  • 01-12-2003 12:23am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you are willing to be a SSF leader and collect the money from your group, then please identify yourselves here (claiming your kudos in the process and 400 bucks as you pass Go!).

If you are willing to try and get a group going, please post here too.

I'm going to ask Amp for the use of his motor to distribute the goodies (I havent asked him yet so shhhhhhhh... but if he doesnt I'll stand outside his bedroom door and sing... and he knows I will :):) )

So, anyone willing to help out?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'd like to put my name foward if I may on behalf of the Illuminati and if I could I'd like to get the gift for Our Ladies Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin, having spent much time there growing up I'd like to do my bit to brighten up the hospitals residents :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Good on ye Az, The Illuminati are Santa Strike Force #2
    We'll have the list up today, I'll target you on Crumlin Hostpital (thats where I was for a short while too).

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

I'd liek to help in anyway, I've appealed to the citizens of Ank-Morpork (Discworld Forum) to join me, failing that I know loads of people in the CTYI forum (They maybe be troll's but they have good hearts). Even if I don't get enought people together to make a strike force, I'd be happy to help in anyway. (Even Dressing up!)

-Alex

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would be happy to help out in anyway possible aswell,
    Will try get a few nonboards people involved too:)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Great. Havelock, when you feel confident enough to declare, I'll make you leader of that Strike Force. I'm thinking that each Force should be able to gather the money for a console or even just a portable TV and that others will cover the cost of the games and misc items.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

Team Nerd will answer this call.

I've consulted with 4 other members and they are all up for it. So it should go through.

We're only students so we don't have serious cash to put in, but we'd definately like to contribute a small item, perhaps a few books/smaller toys or whatever. If we don't have enough money towards something, we'll add our cash into a kitty to help towards something bigger.

dangerman (on behalf of team nerd)

Go team nerd!
    Ok, if you guys can manage it on your own, thats great, or lump what cash you can in with another group and buy one of the bigger ticket items. Either works and thanks again. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭theprofessor

Hey devore,

Just had a little idea, could possibly help in raising some more cash. I see that some of you are also in the poker forum. What about a charity poker tournie? We say €10/20 in, with a small token prize for the winner and the cash then going to the SSF fund?????? (or that same thing for a gaming competition night, etc)

thoughts?

-TNtheprofessor (of TeamNerd Fame)

Thats a great idea too. I dont have time to organise it though and it might be a bit close to Xmas but certainly after xmas we could do it. (along with the Pool comp too maybe :) )

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Santa Strike Force: Scuba Squad are go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

I'm willing to join any group that will take me, :(

Unless other people want to join...

TEAM DISCOVERY CHANNEL!!! :D

Seriously though, I want to help in some way, when are you accepting donations?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Er Havelock i might edit your post on CTYI a tiny bit then make it a thread. think the way you phrased it came across as though you're asking for huge things from people rather than small-medium contributions. I'll wait til you give me the OK though, as i'd prefer you to be ok with it rather than do it without your knowledge.

Soon as thats done i'll sticky it. i'd say we can get some of them to trump up (if all else fails i'll scare em into it).

We could always do something incredibly stupid like getting a permit to collect on Grafton st. (though methinks if i can remember last time i went collecting you need a proper permit) and getting a bunch of the boards regulars to go out on a cold day wearing hardly any clothes. you'd get lots of sympathy money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by crash_000
    We could always do something incredibly stupid like getting a permit to collect on Grafton st. (though methinks if i can remember last time i went collecting you need a proper permit) and getting a bunch of the boards regulars to go out on a cold day wearing hardly any clothes. you'd get lots of sympathy money :D
    I'd be willing to collect at a weekend. I'm usually around there on Saturdays anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Pear Tree House strike team is coming along great.

Those people are cool with groovyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Knights may have the beginning of a formulation of a thinking about a plan. :)

Any Dublin heads not part of a group, or interested in being anonymous, can PM me and be a Knight for a month (in name only) :) The Knights are mostly Galwegians, so us Jackeens may need a bit of a booster.

I'm being very presumptuous here...;). I'll certainly help orgainse cash, buying of stuff for the Knights, but as for actually beign part of a 'Strike'....eh...well..... :)

Jesus thats great!
    I have to travel to Leeds Bradford :rolleyes: today so I wont be around much but I've also had a complete, new PC donated by a regular Boards person (no names no pack drill).

!

Anyway, I'll try and get access during the day and synopsise where we are.

DeV.

Barry or Crash, I need good NCO's either of you interested?
    Also will need a driver on the day, preferably a non-descript white transit van, but anything with large transport capacity will do.

I'm hoping to hit 3 targets, being optimistic, but gives the team a goal. DeV, when are you assigning targets?

In planing, thinking to aim for each target to get,
    -TV (if the ward doesn't have one) and console (min two controllers)+games,
    -Novels (Potter, the Alchamists, Discworld, classic litrature anyone know what else they would like book wise?),
    -Small childrens toys (Balls, teddies, JCBs, dolls)
    -and Lego (Go look in your attics, bet you still have some).

Strike Force #3 awaiting futher mission orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

Hello,

A friend of mine has mailed around so it looks like we have another group, but hes not very active on baords so im posting this. Basically there seems to be some confusion around the procedure for delivery of the goods. So once goods have been purchased whats the procedure from there ?

cheers,

c22

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Has a group been started from the Politics board yet? Everyone's always complaining about the lack of thinking about the less well-off people of this world. I think its time they (we) put their money where their mouth is! I don't think I'm an obvious choice for being a financial hub though - if there is a moderator who could act as treasurer, I would be much happier to just promote the idea, and pass people over to somebody of honourable intent.

I'll summarise this thread tomorrow, I'm mad tired today. (Tired but happy!).

DeV.

• Advertisement

Have appealed to the Literature forum for books. Am going to do the same to Creative Writing and others that are likely to have good books or want to incourage good reading.

Ok but I wouldnt be able to collect them. They'll have to send them to me or you and be in reasonable nick (I presume you are talking about secondhand books?)

DeV.

StrikeForce Round Up
    Seamus - Knights of Comeonbanus - StrikeForce #1 - Target: TBA
    Azezil - Illuminati - StrikeForce #2 - Target: Crumlin Kids Hosp.
    Havelock - CTYI & Others - StrikeForce #3 - Target: Temple Street Hospital
    DapperGent - Peartreehouse - StrikeForce #4 - Target: TBA
    Evil Phil - Scuba - StrikeForce #5 (Navy Seal Division) - Target: TBA
    Crash_22 - Unknown - StrikeForce #6 - Target: TBA

Additionally we have a gift of a complete PC
    and a GameCube.

Did I miss anyone?

I need to start work on the logistics of delivery and making sure
    someone will be there on the day!
    I'm going to ring prospective targets and tell them I'm from
    SSF Parcels Ltd and I have a delivery for them :)

Regarding buying stuff:

What I'd like for use to do is to let individuals buy the books and
    items in that price range rather then have a StrikeForce buy a load
    of them. We need the StrikeForces to target a single item to the limit
    of their budget if possible as they leaves the smaller items to
    those who just want to buy something or who arent part of a Force.

Additionally, if you can manage it at all, try and get stuff needed
    for a console we have if, as I dont want the situation where
    we have controllers/games for one console that we dont have and none for
    another that has been purchased.

Finally my inbox is bursting and I'm trying to work through it at the moment
    If you have pm'ed please wait and a DeVore will be with you as soon as possible :)

DeV.

I'll pick up all the books, of course good nick (there suppost to be from St. Nick after all, my first pun, I feel dirty) anyway. Anything I organise, I'll try to have Strike Force 3 deal with.

We'll take Temple Street, if no-one has a special intrest.

(Anyone else notice lack of intrest in the SFS by general boards users?)

In any community there are people who do loads for it and people who skive off it and people who just wander in and out. if 1% of boards users actually do this, I doubt I could deliver all the stuff :)

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."

From my point of view, I think a fair number of the real boards users *have* got it... they are posting here. you're one of them :)

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Havelock
    (Anyone else notice lack of intrest in the SFS by general boards users?)

in fairness, they probably don't feel the need to post in here but are still doing something in the forums they spend most time in? I hope...

I'll put up a sticky in PI later directing them here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Havelock
    Barry or Crash, I need good NCO's either of you interested?
    Also will need a driver on the day, preferably a non-descript white transit van, but anything with large transport capacity will do.
    I may be able to help you with the transport, pending "convincing" my dad to help. It's smaller than a transit, but it's a damn sight bigger than a normal car boot. Also, I'd be happy to help, in any way possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Golgotha

update on the gamecube
    c22's post was in regards to Cube30 and the gamecube.
    the gamecube has been purchased with xmen2 and it has one controller.

game will next week be releasing their own controllers for the gamecube at 15euro as opposed to nintendo's controllers which are 30euro, so perfect idea for a smaller purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Dev, just wondering.
    Whats the story with most of these hospitals as reguards an internet connection?

If PC's were purchased do you think they would be able to use them to browse the web etc?

If that were the case im sure alot of boards.ie members wouldn't mind donating spare bits of Hardware to make a few rigs, since most IT students always have spare kit around.
    Then getting in contact with Eircom/Netsource/Whatever to see if they fancy doing something charitable for once.

Also, Take it easy, ur taking on alot o work.
    Maybe u need a helper monkey :D

/me goes off to find mojo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Knights (or at least the Dublin one I've been trying to sort out) must withdraw.
    The board is very quiet recently, and anyone who'd be in Dublin is already part of other teams. Haven't seen Kharn in a while, but if he surfaces he may kick some arse, sp until then, there is no Knights team to speak of. :(
    The only loss though is the team, since we're all going with other teams. :)

Advertisement