Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best priced mobile + pda

• 01-12-2003 12:36am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

what is the best price for a (simless) mobile phone/pda, similar to the xda?

thanks

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

closest match to the XDA available now is the XDA II, it's going for around Eur 800+ SIM free at the moment (got one distributed by i-Mate last week, expansys are also listing the actual O2 branded model with an unlock code)

just to try and broaden your scope a bit - are you specificlaly looking for a Pocket PC device? and is it a PDA centric device with phone functionality, rather than a phone with PDA functionality you are after?

BrianG

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

im not looking for something really like the xda, just giving an example.
    basically i want something that is a phone, can send texts but also has a good contact book on it (which is where the pda comes into it), has a good game capability (not a must, but would be nice), and some other basic pda/tablet features, so i suppose id be after a phone come pda rather than pda come phone.
    Not after anything amazingly fancy, its just i was going to get a low price pda, and a phone, so i figure i might try and kill two birds with one stone and save some cash too (hopefully)

Flogen

for a higher end all rounder to meet those requirements the Nokia Series 60 devices are great - email, loads of apps/games available, web, good contacts / calender / tasks and all the regular handset stuff - although they can still be expensive enough SIM free

you could also just try a regular hanset, the T610 can handle most of what you listed, can sync with outlook, ok contacts / calender / tasks, basic email, java games and all the regular handset stuff

there are some trade offs with a converged device (battery power, price...) and you might find a a seperate handset + pda could work out to be a better solution (particularly if you can connect over bluetooth) - you might also find a second hand / refurb XDA or P800 at a good price with their new couterparts being released

BrianG

cheers, thats a good help

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Or a Handspring Treo?
    Closest you'll get to the XDA but for less money

I have a Treo 270 and love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

i agree with dubwireless.: series 60 phones Nokia 3650, Ngage and others(?) offer compelling contact managers, calenders etc.

also nokia are to release a Nokia 6600 which is more of a "business" phone that the "fun" 3650. same software though this cud b what ur looking for...

yeah the 6600 looks nice, but i doubt i can afford it, also i saw a siemens phone thats coming out that is similar to the 6600, cant remember the name of it, but again, im sure its way out of my price range.

how much do treos go for?

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

siemens phone u are thinking of is the Siemens SX1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Originally posted by flogen

Flogen

€399 on the Treostore site. Thats for new. They are also available used. A friend of mine was getting rid of one but don't know if he ever did. I could check for you if you like.

Originally posted by flogen

if you were looking for a phone come pda rather than pda come phone, the Treo 270 (or Palm T|W) would definatley be a PDA first with the phone element added, both in form factor and operation, the Treo / Palm might be a bit too much PDA overkill and at this stage in the Treo 270's life the hardware/software specs are getting dated...

you'd also be looking at something only running OS 3.5 on the Treo and OS 4 on the Palm, while OS 5 has be out over a year already with OS 6 due next year, so bear that in mind

if you did like the unit, due to the new release of the Treo 600, you can pick up a 270 for a lower price, currently around Eur 250 SIM Free from expansys.com (inc. VAT ex. ship) - going direct from the Palm or Handspring store can list a bit of a premium price

the Treo 600 combines both elements much better than it's predecessors, and is one of the better converged devices out there - although as it's only recently begun shiping so the price is pretty high (in the price range of a SIM free XDA II and P900)

although going on your outline - a Series 60 would still be where I'd point you. The Siemens X1 has been delayed several times unfortunately, which is a pity as it could really have pipped Nokia to the post if they had it out before the 6600. the X1 was a better handset than the 3650 mainly due to the screen and less crazy form factor (although still a little wacky)

siemens_sx1_cebit03_devices.ie.jpg

you should also keep an eye out on the Sendo X which has some impressive specs and is 'supposed' to be out soon enough - again as with any new reease the SIM free price will be quite high initially...

BrianG

• Advertisement
Advertisement