Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

problem with wireless network

• 01-12-2003 2:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

just after purchasing my netgear dg834g and im having problems with my wireless connectivity!

i have my pc connected to the router by a ethernet link and im trying to connect up a laptop (an ibook running os9.3) via a wireless network the laptop is upstairs but the signal seems to be droping there

the signal bar on the i book seems to be half full when i have the laptop in my hands but when i put it on the table the signal drops completely after about 3 seconds and thats the end of that

my house is kinda old an has brick walls but i didnt think it would be that bad as my dads office is only 20m (max away). there is loads of books and stuff in there so could that be the problem or is the product faulty or something?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

does the ibook have good connectivity downstairs?, if so you might consider moving the position of the ibook and/or the position of the netgear box .... is the aerial underneath something that might be blocking the signal?

If it still doesnt work then it may be that the walls are just too thick and doorways arent nicely positioned .....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Just thought of something else ..... does the ibook work with 802.11b or g? .. G is a bit better I believe (uses the 802.11a method of sending the data, but has advantages over it) ... try changing channels, you may be suffering interference ... and no I dont know how you change the channels in the DG834 ... its fairly easy to do on the WAB501 I have so it should be easier on newer equipment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

im experimenting at the mo with the different channels

it was working great there for a while

downloading at around 50kb/s but then half an hour later the signal kept dropping

would tv's or monitors interfere with it as i have the dg834g sitting right next to my monitor and over an external dvd rw

thought i got it right with the channals but then the signal droped and became eratic

its working on 802.11b as the wireless card i have installed only supports that mode

just have to find a better place for the router but cant be too far from my pc as its directly connected

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

everything seems to be fine now hopefully the signal wont drop anymore!;)

Advertisement