Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic Silver 5 - a BS!

• 01-12-2003 3:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

i got it, i applied it, it doens't do anything better! the temps are still the same, and i did exactly as the manual said, and waited couple of days before it broke in

if you think of getting any "special" thermal pastes don't waste your money!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

how much did you pay for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

i don't remember exactly something about 6 pounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

i seen that stuff for 25 euros.:eek:

sorry i made a mistake they cost £5.29 each

http://www.pclincs.co.uk/acatalog/PCLincs_Online_Store_Thermal_Compounds__Tape___Chemical_Products_19.html

2 of them and + the delivery cost me 25 euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

What did you have before - thermal tape that may have come with HSF? or another thermal paste e.g. an "older version" of Arctic Silver? If the latter is the case I would not expect much of a change.
    Just out of interest what processor do you have, your temperatures and cooling setup?
    /MK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Well, I just switched to Antec Reference silver paste (99.9% micronised silver) and there's quite a difference (esp Load temps).
    I lapped the cpu & hs, then firmly rubbed some compound into each (lots of elbow grease). After wiping away any excess, there was a thin sticky film on each surface:
    281103_05s.jpg

I just refitted the HS without any extra paste and Idle temps are down 2-3c, Load temps are down 7c
    (My idle temps were actually 5c lower this morning!! but that's before heating kicked in)

All in all, I'm very pleased with the results (I didn't expect that much change)

it a standard thermal paste on, i wiped it off, and applied the AS5

i have 3.06 GHz laptop

the temps are around 38-42 on dynamic switching, after AS it's like 36-39 but damn that's little!

Advertisement