Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving on Provisional

Options
  • 01-12-2003 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to know what the penalty was for driving on a first Provisional with no other fully licenced person in the car with me?

Also, what is the penalty for a first provisional driver driving on the motorway?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

...and people wonder why insurance costs are so high... it's ILLEGAL. doesn't matter what the penalty is... personally I'd take the licence back off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I think it's a 60 or 80 euro fine, and possibly (soon) 2 penalty points. (for both offences)

Having to wait a year to do the driving test should be ILLEGAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by trotter_inc
    Just wanted to know what the penalty was for driving on a first Provisional with no other fully licenced person in the car with me?

Also, what is the penalty for a first provisional driver driving on the motorway?

Thanks.

Don't do it, and there'll be no penalty. :)

Nah, it was £50 when I was a prov driver, so about €80 I think. Waiting a year for a test is ridiculous, so you're probably better off applying for the test as soon as you have an inkling that you might be getting a car, even if it's 6 months before you even get a licence.

Remember that you have to carry your licence around with you, so you can't be stopped on a m-way, and then go into the station within 10 days, playing down the m-way thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Penalties do include

1.) Endangering your own life
    2.) Endangering the lives of others
    3.) Increasing the cost of insurance to yourself
    4.) Increasing the cost of insurance to others.

And possibly

Killing a family just before Christmas and getting your face in the papers.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Neither of you have ever seen me drive so how the hell can you say how good a driver I am?

Just because I have a provisional doesnt mean I havent been driving before.

There are far worse drivers than me out there!

• Advertisement

Neither of you have ever seen me drive so how the hell can you say how good a driver I am?

Just because you say you're good, doesn't mean you are :)

Saying "don't drive alone" isn't a commentary on how good you are, it's the law. You're unqualified. That's the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Aren't you in the least bit scared of having/causing an accident, knowing full well that your insurance company won't pay out a penny because you're driving illegally?

Originally posted by eth0_
    Aren't you in the least bit scared of having/causing an accident, knowing full well that your insurance company won't pay out a penny because you're driving illegally?
    They will pay out. They're obliged to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

How many people telling the original poster not to break the law keep to the speed limits and never break the law themselves?

Originally posted by seamus
    They will pay out. They're obliged to.

They won't pay out for any injuries he incurs himself, or damage to his car because he's defrauding them by driving illegally.
    Also, i'm pretty sure if he injures someone else they won't pay out for the same reason and the other party would have to sue for damages.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Imposter
    How many people telling the original poster not to break the law keep to the speed limits and never break the law themselves?

That has nothing to do with anything. Stop trying to make this thread descend into the usual boards.ie style of sniping and going off topic.

Sorry, I meant to double-check what I said, and then edit my post. Sure a new one won't hurt...Found this..
    the insurer by whom it is issued binds himself by it to insure the insured against all sums without limit which the insured or his personal representative all become liable to pay to any person (exclusive of the excepted persons) whether by way of damages or costs on account of injury to person or property caused by the negligent use, during the period (in this Act referred to as the period of cover) specified in that behalf in the policy, of a mechanically propelled vehicle to which the policy relates, by the insured or by any of such other persons (if any) as are mentioned or otherwise indicated in that behalf in the policy;
    I'm not a law type person at all, but that seems to me that any illegal driving is covered, regardless. The only way to invalidate your policy is if you supply false information. After all, if you're speeding, or drink-driving, and you crash, the insurance co. is obliged to pay our, even though you ware driving illegally. Ditto for prov. licences imo. I also found that the above passage (From the Road Traffic Act, 1961) has been modified by the Road Traffic Act, 2002, so that the insurer is only liable for a maximum of €200,000 where the crash has been caused by negligence on the part of the insured. I don't know if this has been enacted yet though.

Any law students like to shed some informed light on this?

:)

Well if you do have an accident while driving with no full-license holder in the car with you, your insurance company won't cover you. Which means that if it was your fault the injured party is free to bring a civil case against you. If that person is awarded 15,000 for personal injuries you'll have to come up with that yourself.

They most are certainly not obliged to pay out as Seamus states. You'll be breaking the law by driving on your own, therefore you have not fulfilled the terms of your policy.
    If you are on the motorway and have an accident the insurance company will say that you are not covered to drive on the motorway as you shouldn't have been there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by eth0_
    That has nothing to do with anything. Stop trying to make this thread descend into the usual boards.ie style of sniping and going off topic.
    It has a lot to do with everything. The original user asked as to the penalties for doing something that they know is illegal. Everyone answering here to tell them that it is illegal and that they shouldn't do it are the ones who began going off-topic.

The original poster, I would imagine, was trying to weigh up the consequences of getting caught doing something illegal against the benifits to him of doing it, similar to anyone who speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Well in fairness you did come accross as a bit harsh and Self-righteous, considering the system for getting a licence is so fcuked up here, the waiting time I mean.

Originally posted by bobbyjoe
    Well in fairness you did come accross as a bit harsh and Self-righteous, considering the system for getting a licence is so fcuked up here, the waiting time I mean.

Just because there's a waiting list to do your test doesn't give you the right to drive illegally. Do you think a guard would come across 'a bit harsh' to yer man? I'd hope so. The standard of driving in Ireland is pretty abysmal, and i'm sure a lot of it is due to learner and provisional drivers giving the one finger salute to the law like this guy.

Illegality is illegality. It's black and white and it's inexcusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

hey man just get your 2nd provisonal :S that jus not right but hey its LEGAL

what a ****ed up country, waiting a year now for my test. la la la

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

show me a provisional driver in dublin who hasnt been on the m50 though. a year for a test is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

give ur insurance company a call and ask them are you insuraded if driving alone i know some1 who did jst that and they said they would cover...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by seamus

Any law students like to shed some informed light on this?

:)

It completly depends on what falls under neglient use, which I'm sure would be stated elsewhere in the Act, probably at the beginning.

Although, yes, afaik, the insurer is obliged to cover you even if you are doing something illegally, i.e. drunk driving, speeding, dangerous driving, nearly 90% of road accidents are caused by someone breaking the law, probably more actually.
    They most are certainly not obliged to pay out as Seamus states. You'll be breaking the law by driving on your own, therefore you have not fulfilled the terms of your policy.

I honetly cant accept that, if that was the case they would say it for every possible offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Wait, now I see Kanaga is wrong, because the law in place protects the innocent and/or injuried party, so that means that even the insurer has to pay out to the other party, thats the risk they take in insuring people.

No, kanaga, you do not have to cover civil charges by yourself, as most people would never be able to cover the costs of an injured party, and thats hardly fair is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

this was something i was wondering...
    can i drive alone on my 2nd provosional? cos I thought they'd closed that loop hole?

As for the M50, just go another way, its not worth it whatever it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Read the bottom of your insurance certificate.

Usually has something along the lines of - you are covered for liablity provided you hold a licence to drive the vehicle.

@rds usually take any excuse they can.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by uberwolf
    this was something i was wondering...
    can i drive alone on my 2nd provosional?
    Yes. Not on your third though (or in the case of my girlfriend's mother, her fourth)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Well if you do have an accident while driving with no full-license holder in the car with you, your insurance company won't cover you. Which means that if it was your fault the injured party is free to bring a civil case against you. If that person is awarded 15,000 for personal injuries you'll have to come up with that yourself.

Prove it. Seamus has provided proof that you *are* covered, now it's your turn to prove otherwise. If you can't prove it then stop posting your opinions as facts. That's how myths and rumours start.

BrianD3

Originally posted by Bosh
    Read the bottom of your insurance certificate.

Usually has something along the lines of - you are covered for liablity provided you hold a licence to drive the vehicle.

@rds usually take any excuse they can.:mad:
    Nope. Read your licence. It says "Categories of vehicles for which licence is valid". Provided you are driving a vehicle as stated on the licence, and complying with the terms of your restrictions (the ones stated on the licence - Must wear corrective lenses, must be accompanied, etc), then you are licenced. There is nothing on any licence that says "You are not licenced to drive on motorways". Driving on motorways is illegal, but you are still licenced. Exactly the same as speeding and drink-driving are illegal, but while doing so, your licence is still valid.

For the record, insurance companied have tried the same argument when saying that pillon passengers are not covered on a provisional licence. My insurance policy in my hand here states "The policy does not cover..use while carrying any passenger other than one pillion passenger unless a side car is attached to the Motor Cycle". Since they have not mentioned anything to do with whether it's illegal or not, I am covered by the insurance company to carry one pillion passenger on my bike, even though it's illegal.

Just to clarify - My policy says I'm covered to drive my bike, "Provided that the person driving holds a licence to drive such vehicle or, having held such a licence, is not disqualified from holding a licence."
    It also says, as above, that I am covered to carry at most one pillion passenger.
    So, as long as I'm driving the vehicle with the registration as marked on my insurance policy, and have a licence to drive it, and am complying with the restrictions on that licence (ie wearing corrective lenses), then I am covered to both carry a pillion passenger, and to drive on a motorway, and to speed, drink-drive, etc etc.

"I hereby certify that an approved policy of insurance has been issued by me to the person named above, that the particulars stated above are correct, and that, within such particulars and subject to the provisions of the Road Traffic Act 1961 the policy of insurance covers all liabilities required by saidAct to be the subject of an apporved policy of insurance." Signed for Hibernian, yada yada yada

I thought it was a iffy issue, but now that I've looked into it a bit, it's cut-and-dried.

Can we put this to rest now? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The insurance company is liable to the third party, there is nothing to stop them coming after a fraudulent driver to get them to reimburse the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Originally posted by Big al
    show me a provisional driver in dublin who hasnt been on the m50 though. a year for a test is a joke
    most of my mates - and myself..
    Im a fully licensed driver now - after a nice 10month wait for a test :rolleyes:
    apparently if you keep on pestering the testers for a date, they will bring it forward - thats what my tester told me

Originally posted by BrianD3
    Prove it. Seamus has provided proof that you *are* covered, now it's your turn to prove otherwise. If you can't prove it then stop posting your opinions as facts. That's how myths and rumours start.

BrianD3

Well BrianD3, perhaps this email from an Insurance Information Officer of the Insurance Federation Of Ireland would be enough for you?
    It would appear that your own opinion on the matter is, in fact, false.
    Or would you like to contact them yourself at www.iif.ie or via the telephone number below to confirm?

<my email sent this morning>

Good morning,

I have a query regarding the driving of a vehicle by a person who holds only a provisional license on the motorway.
    I understand that this would be illegal but would like to clarify whether or not that person would be covered by their insurance in the case of an accident?
    If so could you tell me why?
    If not, could you tell me which part of the policy would exclude coverage under those circumstances?

This is purely in the interests of research but would greatly appreciate a reply.

Best Regards,

<Reply from the Insurance Federation of Ireland>

Thank you for your email dated today.

The insured's accidental damage claim would not be covered in this instance.

Regards

PAUL <surname deleted>
    Insurance Information Officer
    Irish Insurance Federation
    Insurance House
    39 Molesworth Street
    Dublin 2
    Reception: +00353 1 6761820

T:<deleted>
    F:<deleted>
    E: <deleted>

For the latest insurance news visit www.iif.ie
    Report suspect claims to Insurance Confidential LoCall 1890 333 333

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely
    for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have
    recieved this email in error please notify <deleted>@iif.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I believe that's fairly conclusive.

Advertisement