Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving on Provisional

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

You've actually shot yourself in the foot there. The officer has said that the insurance would revert to third-party cover in the event of the driver driving illegally. This is the normal procedure (try claiming for your own damages if you are convicted of dangerous driving). Also, how many provisionally licenced drivers have comprehensive cover to start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He didn't give any good reason. Just said it wasn't. That's no proof for me. He didn't even attempt to answer your last two questions.
    In fact, it almost affirms my belief that they just say these things to stop provisional drivers driving on the motorway (the right thing to do, the wrong way to go about it).

:)

[Edit: Aha, Andrew Duffy's spotted it there.
    He says the accidental damage claim would not be upheld, ie any damage to the insured's car would not be paid for.
    He doesn't mention third party cover (probably for the reason I've stated above - If he says "Yes, you would still be covered 3rd party", he could get himself in very hot water, even though it's the truth)
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If not, could you tell me which part of the policy would exclude coverage under those circumstances?
    I notice this question was conveniently ignored in the reply.
    The insured's accidental damage claim would not be covered in this instance
    No mention of third parties.

Also, no mention of the Road Traffic Act or any other piece of legislation to back up what he says. No mention of/reference to any statement which would be found on a person's insurance policy to back up what he says.

In other words, no proof. Overall, a vague and evasive reply to your email.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You're dead right BrianD3.
    You know more than an Insurance Information officer employed by the Insurance Federation of Ireland.

What do you want exactly, will I mail him back and say there's a guy on boards.ie who's never wrong and would he please quote the statutes?

I'll tell you what Brian, instead of quoting what others have said, where those people have gone and done their best to research the question, why don't you provide some evidence of your own?

Touchy aren't you?
    You know more than an Insurance Information officer employed by the Insurance Federation of Ireland.
    Read my post again, twat. I *never* stated that I knew what the true story was. I merely asked you for some proof to back up your statements. You failed to do this.
    why don't you provide some evidence of your own?
    I don't need to. Seamus and others have provided enough evidence for me.

BrianD3

• Advertisement

Touchy?
    I'm 6 foot 5, weigh 16 stone and if you ever called me a twat to my face you'd be picking your own up off the floor. Anonimity can make you feel like a man, but it can't make you into one.
    Now, I'm getting tired of trying to argue with someone who cannot produce their own arguments so I'm just not going to read anymore of your twaddle.

Bye thread.

I'm 6 foot 5, weigh 16 stone and if you ever called me a twat to my face you'd be picking your own up off the floor..
    And you'd be picking some guy's cum out of your ass during your 6 month stay in Mountjoy.

BrianD3

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Moderator, month ban for BrianD3, two week ban for Kananga.

I'm asking the mod to do this so he'll know when to let you both back in.
    Also if I go to the admin panel, I'd probably just ban you completely.

Unacceptible incivility.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Off post from the last few threads

But personally I think this driving on (or not driving) on provisional without a liceanced driver is a joke. Why? well ..

My sister applied for a drivers liceance a few years ago. But never learned to drive.
    She got her second liceance 3monts ago, and can legeally drive.
    She only learned to drive the same time as me.

So she can drive on her own, but not me.

Totally stoopid

Grand. All I'll say in my defence is that Kananga started abusing me in the "who are these idiots" thread and nothing was said/done about it. Then when I questioned his opinion here on this thread he started responding with snide comments which I wasn't in any mood to take. Finally I'll say that I reckon I'm a decent contributor to the motors forum, most of my posts are not abusive, on-topic and relevant eg if someone is having mechanical problems with their car I'll do my best to help them.

BrianD3

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DeVore

I'm asking the mod to do this so he'll know when to let you both back in.
    Also if I go to the admin panel, I'd probably just ban you completely.

Unacceptible incivility.

DeV.

Understandable. I don't offer anything in defence.
    I just cannot allow people to get away with name-calling, which is the only reason I responded, that's all.
    BrianD3 is on my ignore list now anyway so we won't clash again.

<EDIT> My apologies to all others on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by hussey
    She got her second liceance 3monts ago, and can legeally drive.
    She only learned to drive the same time as me.

So she can drive on her own, but not me.

Totally stoopid
    Agreed hussey. It's for these reasons that I'm in favour of dumping provisional licences totally in their current incarnation and replacing them with a permit system (or just changing the permissions on a provisional) where the learner driver can only drive when accompanied by a recognised driving instructor until they pass their test. Pass your test and you can drive on your own. Nice and simple

(though I recognise that this would require a major overhaul of both the learning process (more instructors and a recognised qualification for them) and the testing process (a little quicker (and hey, more stringent too while we're at it)))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

i agree and disagree sceptre, we cant get rid of the current system until we reform the test system first. when people can ring up and get a test the next week then I think we can reform the licence issue. Of course the testers union wont allow reform cause it doesnt suit their members.

Public sector unions are the root of all evil in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

how about bring in something like the french system where you have to have a certain number of lessons under your belt before you can take a test.
    Also - the big thing they have to do is employ more testers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Big al
    we cant get rid of the current system until we reform the test system first.
    Agreed.

And we should be doing that now even without my point above being considered - the wait for tests is reminding me of the late 70s (and we remember what happened there)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

applied for my test,,,,,on 3rd prov ...can i drive legally on my own???

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No because you should have by now completed a test (on 2nd provisional) and you showed then that you cannot drive to the required standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

got 1st provisional in 1994 to use as i.d. and then second prov...was driving as well but very minimal and then there was a big gap until last september when i actually got 3rd for driving test..

I have applied and everything for the test just waiting on the call

I know stupid thing to do as regards using prov for i.d. but where i lived thats all they would take at the time,,,

Cheers

Advertisement