Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash SMS compatible handsets?

• 01-12-2003 11:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭

I'm looking for a list of Flash SMS compatible handsets. Can anyone tell me where I can find one more comprehensive than this ?

Is it safe to assume that most/all new handsets are Flash SMS enabled? Are there any disadvantage to sending Flash messages instead of ordinary ones?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Jim.
    http://mmsmemo.blogspot.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Afaik, most handsets released in the last 2years or so should be compatible.

Though I have a feeling it may only be handsets that support OTA(Over The Air). This is normally used for sending WAP/GPRS/MMS settings or the like. Phones that dont: Sagem, some Motorola. But pretty much all Nokia's since the 2100's should be fine, Im fairly sure I saw one working on a Nokia 5110 a few years back anyway.

Flash SMS has been around for years, only problem was that most handsets couldnt create them. I had one stored on an old O2 SIM, It was originally sent from some computer program. But once stored on my phone I could edit & send it again and the integrated formatting would remain intact.

They will also be more expensive. Meteor support them if you have a 32k SIM. You can receive them if you have a 16k SIM, you just cant send them. They are 15c, same goes for scheduled SMS.

Any disadvantage? Well, for them to be ineffective in what they are supposed to do, they need to be only 3-4lines long. Its also much easier to delete without having read if your not used to them. They appear on your phone similar to when you receive a Ringtone/Icon/Service settings and you have "Options" which are "View,Save, Delete/Discard". So if you press clear, it is gone, rather than saving automatically like a regular SMS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Great information - thanks.

I'm intending to use Clickatell and as far as I can see, flash messages don't cost anything extra, or if they do Clickatell have the fact well hidden ;)

I take you point about the disadvantages but I feel that for my primary target audience (over 40s => non-texters) flash messages are ideal.

By the way, the bulk rate with Clickatell is 5c or less!!!

~~~~~~~
    -Jim.
    http://eirepreneur.blogs.com

Advertisement