Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of duity on the pc

Options
  • 01-12-2003 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

anyone get the demo of this game ?

Its fecking amazeing! grapics sound teamwork everything in it is just great soooo much better that Mohaa (which i have on the gamecube)

is it out now or what ? anyone have the full pc version ?

I must get it NOW DAMN IT!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

It's been out on sale for a few weeks now. I recommend it. It is everything MOHAA should have been and then some. Every battle is a set-piece that will leave you drooling over the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Damn i knew i shouldnt of given up buying pc zone!

thanks for the info i have to buy it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I was equally bowled over by the demo (once I got it working on my PC) and I have already aked Santy to bring me a copy for Christmas.

Its been out for a while now and surprisingly and it doesn't seem to have made a dent in the charts. I hope the full game is up to the standard of the demo (awesomely immersive sound effects) but I have seen some posts that dismissed the game as just arip off of MOH. I didn't pay too much attention to those posts however because the posters then went on to reccommend jumpy up and down games on consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ya its a bit odd i havent really heard of it till i seen it on sky one's Gameville this morning

Originally posted by Mad Mike

I hope the full game is up to the standard of the demo (awesomely immersive sound effects) but I have seen some posts that dismissed the game as just arip off of MOH.

Ohhhh, the full game is WELL upto standard. The demo is just a taster. I slapped the game onto maximum difficulty level and haven't been disappointed. No health-packs, etc, meaning you really do have to keep yourself (and yoru squad-mates) alive.

There are lots of subtle small things that just make the game far superior to MOHAA, but your squad mates are a big difference. They'll do just as much damage to the enemy, but if they're gone, there's nobody watching your back. And as much as people think "I'm hard, rarrrrr, I can take them all", the reality is much different.

Every level is superbly laid out as well, and the pacing is often utterly frantic. Run crouching, duck behind wall, look up and pop off a few rounds, duck, reload, crawl a little, get up squeeze off a few more rounds, retreat, etc. You really have to make use of cover and not just run in shooting, because you'll be killed very quickly every single time.

There are LOTS of memorable moments in this game, and each time you play it's not quite the same.

ANd the sound. My god the in-game sound is drool inducing :D

• Advertisement

Sounds the business

Roll on Christmas - when I'll finally get time to have a proper go at a new game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I didnt think much of the game, the Single player was short and a bit easy(albiet fun), and the MP is too simple (on my 2nd ever game, about 20mins after I installed it, I won a tournament against 13 other players, alot of them were regulars). However I havent got a good team game on-line yet, but by the look of MP Im not exactly wetting my pants to play in one either.

The best missions are definately the T-34 mission and the bridge mission, the T34 mission is a good fun change, and the bridge mission is the only map with a good challenge to it, even on hardest a lot of the other levels were simply too easy.

Your team mates in it arent that useful either, their good bullet shields, but they cant hit sh*t, even with about 7 of them shooting, Ill be doing about 4 times the killing of the other 7 combined, however as far as bullet sponges come, you couldnt ask for better, admittidly their handy for watching your back, as 1on1 the enemy is even less accurate than your team mates.

Another thing that kinda buggers me about this game is the allied super hero-ness, 20 men holding a town against 2 platoons? hmmm, anyone else see this as remotely possable against trained German soldiers? and several tanks? In not a single mission do the allies even nearly lose (except some of the russion one which was taken right from "enemy at the gates", their 100% identicle to it, even what the NPC's say is the same as the film).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I enjoyed this game but I do agree with alot of the previous post. To me it's a remake of Spearhead but done better. The general strategy in war games now seems to be a series of film sequences which are impressive but less engaging by the day. And these games just keep getting shorter with the game mags championing "quality" over "quantity". Can't you bleedin well combine these facets?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

Originally posted by Pugsley
    the MP is too simple (on my 2nd ever game, about 20mins after I installed it, I won a tournament against 13 other players, alot of them were regulars).

i think this is a result of the people you were playing against as opposed to the game itself, i thought the game was good, the single player was a bit short but its worth the money especially since you're not paying the full whack like other new games, its available at a pretty low price and so worth the money, as for the mulitplayer, you're obviously too talented to be playing games where you have to use your hands,

Might I also ask what difficulty level people were playign this game on?

On Maximum the game is extremely challenging, and there are several levels that I would consider worthy of mention. There's also none of this MOHAA lark of carrying a small armoury in your backpack along with enough ammo for a platoon. You have to make your choices, you have to think ahead, and in some cases you simply have no choice since you're running out of ammo very fast and have to start scavenging from the dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Yeah, I found it was a blast - very very linear but the pace of the game was outstanding, as was the level design, textures, sound and AI. Was watching 'Enemy at the Gates' on Sat night - never realised the plagiarising connection, mind you MOHAA and Saving Private Ryan have the same relationship...

Originally posted by bambam
    Was watching 'Enemy at the Gates' on Sat night - never realised the plagiarising connection, mind you MOHAA and Saving Private Ryan have the same relationship...

CoD plagarises from quite a few different places. Some of the locatioms are VERY accurate (since I've been to the locations in question - I'll not reveal which ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I'm also really enjoying it , but pacing myself through the game cause it does seem short , some of the levels can be quiet difficult , but restart them 2 or 3 times and you find a way through . Although the enemy soldier's aim aint perfect , their tanks , once they lock on to you , are hard to shake off .( duck behind a wall and come up in the same place and they are waiting for u ). Yes , its heavily scripted , but its also a blast .

I rekon there will be quiet a few expansion packs

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ][Dermington][

it really is everything that mohaa should have been...and even with 3 exp. packs mohaa is still the same old rubbish....

CoD is really good in the fact that it doesnt just throw in 1000 extra baddies when you up the difficulty it just makes it easier to die...on the few rare occasions that i buy games i bought CoD for 39.99 in smyths and i must say it was well worth it....

the multiplayer isnt spectacular tho (very mohaa...which is fine but an overkill)...but ive only played dm...but in all fairness it isnt that hard to be good...the rifles effectively kill you in one shot...so technically a one armed person could own a lot of aspiring tourney players....but thats neither here nor there......

also whoever thinks the game is too super heroish...its true for some parts but many of the scenes in the game are true...i only found out after playing the game that the pegasus bridge level actually happened...it will be 60 since since on the 30th of may...thats twisted...i didnt realise that half that stuff happened......

its only 35 yoyos in xtra visions nationwide, definitely worth a buy for that money

Originally posted by Dr. Dodger
    its only 35 yoyos in xtra visions nationwide, definitely worth a buy for that money

Have XTravision started selling PC games?

yeh there are a few stores around dublin that sell pc games. not a lot of them but they have a few. call of duty is one of em. halo is another and sims i think,

Interesting - I must check my local store.

Its a pity you can't rent PC games. I guess that most software licenses dont allow renting.

I do remember back in a more innocent age a game shop just off the main street in Dundrum used to rent games - I paid IR£5 for Doom 2 for a week.

yeh a shop near me used to rent them too, they rent ps2 games and xbox games at the moment, but don't think they have any intention of renting pc games

Originally posted by ][Dermington][

also whoever thinks the game is too super heroish...its true for some parts but many of the scenes in the game are true...i only found out after playing the game that the pegasus bridge level actually happened...it will be 60 since since on the 30th of may...thats twisted...i didnt realise that half that stuff happened......

Pegasus bridge was the most controversial action of D-Day in that questions were raised afterwards as to whether or not it really needed to be held.

BUT, I can safely say that the bridge, the mounted artillery gun, and the houses on the other side of the bridge ARE exactly where they are in real-life

Part of CoD's attraction for me is that most of the combat theatres you find yourself in are historically accurate (within reason of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Lemming
    Pegasus bridge was the most controversial action of D-Day in that questions were raised afterwards as to whether or not it really needed to be held.

BUT, I can safely say that the bridge, the mounted artillery gun, and the houses on the other side of the bridge ARE exactly where they are in real-life

Part of CoD's attraction for me is that most of the combat theatres you find yourself in are historically accurate (within reason of course).

Well, i can talk QUITE a bit about Pegasus bridge and indeed all the buildings were in the correct places. The only thing wrong with the map is the amount of tanks. There were in now way an unlimited amount of tanks assaulting the bridge like the game. By taking the bridge the British para's cut the Panzer division in half. It took 4 hours for a car to reach each panzer division as it was the only bridge over the Orne Waterways [journey usually took 15 minutes with the bridge] and Caen was being bombed. The British para's fought only a handful of tanks, the tanks that were attacking the bridge left to regroup after the first one was blown by a single PIAT anti tank gun.

Also, the Bridge was of vital importance to the invasion plan. Failure to take the bridge would result in the Panzer Division around Benoville and Caen at the time having an open road to the british invasion beaches. By holding the bridge the Panzer divisions could not launch an attack on the beaches. Although as we know now only Hitler could order the Panzers into action and he was asleep at the time :)

Game though makes the changes to make it more exciting. I cant blame them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

isnt there a level on the tirpitz??? that aint exactly accurate? though i want to play the game just to see how they did the ship the only pic i saw had the wrong type of secondary guns on the ship...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by BlitzKrieg
    isnt there a level on the tirpitz??? that aint exactly accurate? though i want to play the game just to see how they did the ship the only pic i saw had the wrong type of secondary guns on the ship...

Ah come on guys , at the end of the day , its just a game . No where on the box does it say that 'every little thing will be acurate .

John.

Historical accuracy or not I'm still getting it for the Christmas Holidays.
    (If I can wait that long).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Originally posted by jonski
    Ah come on guys , at the end of the day , its just a game . No where on the box does it say that 'every little thing will be acurate .
    John.
    Ha! you clearly don't know your ww2 game freaks. ;) In defence of the freaks, it is a game based on a well documented part of recent history; if you start making silly (and simple) errors on the parts of that period, you're gonna get people who know these things noticing. And it does ruin the experience sometimes. Witness Bf1942 and it's non-existent accuracy (not even in how the vehicles looked - it's very ace card)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭vega_AH64

Best mp game i have played in a while and i think a few people on this forum are playing it on easy because if you where playing it on hard you would not be saying it was easy... one must use logic. no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I find this game prity good. I love the detail of it all and the way they move and also the talking from the germans. Its a cool game indeed.

I have played alot of cs in my day "to much" and i do find this game hard. I find im always saving and reloading as u cant aford to get shot. By doing this i am getting through the maps fast. I would think now that im close to the end of the game.

As for MP gaming i have only played it on Lan with my brothers. I found this to be a very tence game and i enjoyed it alot.

For the price and what u will be getting i think it was well worth it. There is no other first person shooter game out there "i think" that is better then CoD, And i have prity much played them all. Never liked MoH but i do like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by vega_AH64
    i think a few people on this forum are playing it on easy because if you where playing it on hard you would not be saying it was easy...

I know, Hard can be quite hard at times. One shot one kill kind of thing. Very fun to play.
    Originally posted by BadCharlie
    As for MP gaming i have only played it on Lan with my brothers. I found this to be a very tence game and i enjoyed it alot.

I have only played it a coulple of times on multiplayer across the intraweb and I found it most odd. First time was the day I got it and i beat the crap outta all these clan guys on the Downville level. Got to love that level :)

Then we all got whipped out by some noob wit ha sniper rifle. Sniper rifle is way too easy to use i nthe game, no skill required I have to say. Hence the reason some noob took out the whole Soviet side cos he was hiding in a window and wouldnt leave.

Got to love the way [depending on server i think] it will replay how you died. Was funny seeing myself get a Panzerfaust to the face once.

Advertisement