Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diver eaten by Shark

• 01-12-2003 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭

A news story from Divernet tells of a scuba diver who was apparently eaten by a tiger shark. Should we be worried ??? I don't think so. According to the report only 10% of shark attacks involve scuba divers. Two things in the story caught my eye.

1) The diver was diving in South Africa - what's diving in South Africa famous for?? sharks.

2) He dived away from the reefs into the blue and what was he doing out there?? Spearfishing!!! I mean come on, I'm all for diving with sharks and getting a good look at them but I'm not about to go chumming the water and cover myself in shark bait without a hefty chainmail suit on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Jesus thats some scary stuff. I have heard that bull and tiger sharks are the most dangerous in the sea. After great whites of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Thats some scary stuff really!!

but he wasnt buddied up with anyone so no one to watch his back and HE WAS SPEAR FISHING!! and he went out into the blue ocean away from the reef! as Mick L put it i wouldnt go diving with sharks unless i was damn well protected!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

65% of divers shark attacks are fishing related.

Figures speak for themselves. You would think if you were basically asking for it, and lets all admit thats what he was doing, then he'd take some precautions. there is a shark deterrent device here. I've seen it in operation on the discovery program and when it was turned on the sharks wouldn't come within about 8-10ft of the divers even when they were surrounded in fish guts.

I read another diver death on divernet there about 3/4 months ago. The diver in this case was indeed wearing an electrical deterrent but he panicked and surfaced screaming for help. The Cox on the boat tried to drag him on board fully kitted up and didn't manage it. The device was place on his tank which was out of the water and no longer working (it must be immeresed in water) so the shark attacked and bit down on the divers leg. Severed a femoral artery and that was that for the diver.
    i think this is the story i am talking about. Could be wrong though.
    his severed left hand was found by searching divers.
    Good that it turned out to be a good news bad news situation. Hate to think of it all being doom and gloom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by AL][EN
    but he wasnt buddied up with anyone so no one to watch his back

Which brings up my argument about diving with a buddy. Peace :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

Originally posted by daveg
    Which brings up my argument about diving with a buddy. Peace :)

Don't want to reopen that can of worms but in this case would the shark have just eaten both of them if he had a buddy? :confused:
    Guess it depends on how hungry it was :cool:

While we're on the subject, does anyone here go spear fishing? I think TacT mentioned that he did a course on it. I had a look at the prices of spearguns on the web and they're surprisingly cheap (for scuba gear). Just watch your backs on the next boards dive :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

his severed left hand was found by searching divers.

Well sharks are 'armless'...

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

jokes like that make baby jesus cry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    Well sharks are 'armless'...

I'll get my coat.

Well they didn't find the right arm so the autorities are now saying that the shark is armed and dangerours.

Myself and EvilPhil will be going straight to hell, won't be passing go and won't be collecting any YoYo's.

Advertisement