Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend surveyor in Dublin

Options
  • 01-12-2003 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good surveyor in Dublin? I am buying
    a house in south Dublin and want a surveyor to check it out
    for any structural problems and the like,

Cheers,
    Mike

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Two guys I've used in the past:

Patrick Gleeson
    Based in Dun Laoghaire
    Tel.: 087 4152018

Niall J Carroll & Associates
    Based in Harold's Cross
    Tel.: 4979432

If it's just for a standard survey, try Patrick Gleeson. If you suspect structural problems try Niall, as he's also some sort of quantity surveyor or loss adjuster or something (?).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I am a quantity surveyor, but would I recommend myself? .... lazy, untimely, picky, but cheap, observant and thorough.

There are different things you need to look for. Do you need this survey:

(a) For mortgage / loan approval?
    (b) General peace of mind?
    (c) Because you have serious doubts about the structure of the building?
    (d) Valuation for mortgage / loan?
    (e) Valuation for insurance purposes?

For each of these you might need different people:

(a) You need someone from the bank's pre-approved list or someone who can readily be accepted by the bank.
    (b) Any surveyor / engineer / architect should be able to do this, although obviously some will be better than others. Make a point of saying you don't want to spend money on the property, to make sure they don't recommend a lemon, in the hope that you then need their professional advice to upgrade.
    (c) This would largely be down to a "structural survey" and while most can give an opinion, an engineer would be best. For example, I could say "I have serious concerns about the stability of the rear wall", whereas an engineer could say "the rear wall is excessively deformed and will need replacement".
    (d) Best option is a property (not land) surveyor or estate agent.
    (e) Should only be a quantity surveyor, although for standard estate houses you could work it out yourself with the guide on the SCS website.

You can get lists of people at:

www.iei.ie Engineers
    www.scs.ie Surveyors
    www.riai.ie Architects
    www.iavi.ie Estate Agents / Property Surveyors

Advertisement