Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Davy Byrnes Irish Writing Award

• 01-12-2003 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

See here: http://www.jamesjoyce.ie/templates/text_contents.aspx?page_id=387

Good luck to you all. I intend to enter, it'd be interesting to know who of you boards writers might also consider entering?

---

The Davy Byrnes Irish Writing Award

Sponsored by Davy Byrnes

Organised by The James Joyce Centre

In association with The Irish Times and ReJoyce Dublin 2004

€20,000 Prize for Best Short Story

5 runner-up prizes of €1000 each

8 places for unpublished writers (no novel or story collection published) on week-long residential workshop at Tyrone Guthrie Centre, Annaghmakerrig, Co. Monaghan.

Closing Date: February 2nd 2004

‘Davy Byrnes has always been proud of its association with the most famous novel of the 20th century. The Davy Byrnes Irish Writing Award is, for the centenary of Bloomsday, our way of encouraging new Irish writing,’ says Redmond Doran of Davy Byrnes.

‘Davy Byrnes has always been proud of its association with the most famous novel of the 20th century. The Davy Byrnes Irish Writing Award is, for the centenary of Bloomsday, our way of encouraging new Irish writing,’ says Redmond Doran of Davy Byrnes.

In Dubliners James Joyce revealed himself to be a master of the short story form, and there are those who would still consider ‘The Dead’ to be the author’s greatest achievement. The Davy Byrnes Irish Writing Award celebrates both the author and the form, and is designed to give a very real boost to the career of a present day practitioner.

This is by far the largest literary award of its kind this side of the Atlantic with a first prize of €20,000 and a total prize fund of €25,000.

Alongside the six cash awards, the eight most promising emerging writers will be offered the opportunity to attend a residential, week-long series of master classes at the Tyrone Guthrie Centre, Annaghmakerrig, County Monaghan.

Another distinctive feature of the competition is that there is no word limit for the stories being entered. It is, however, a short story competition. We are not looking for novels or novel chapters.

The competition is open to anyone who is a citizen of, or normally resident in, the island of Ireland.

Entry forms are available to download below. Alternatively, send a stamped sae to The James Joyce Centre, 35 North Great George's Street, Dublin 1.

For further information contact the Competition Administrator at davybyrnes@jamesjoyce.ie

Comments

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Interesting indeed.
    My English teacher always told me to enter my random poems and stories into the countless magazine competitions and what-not but it was never something I took seriously.

When you think about it, it doesn't take much to 'submit' some work into something like this and, you never know, someone could end up with quite a lot of nosh for an after-xmas celebration :)

There's been quite a lot of stories people have submitted here, and I suggest that you submit your work. I doubt anyone has anything to lose, after all.

Thanks for the information, dod.

PS. You pasted a certain segement of it twice - looks really confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I just checked out the site and will most likely enter, the only thing is I have severe reservations re: are they looking for some great literary writer. I am no James Joyce, my style of writing is quite simplistic almost, there's nothing really arty about it. I don't ramble, although I am guilty of overwriting. I guess I feel a little intimidated but sure I'll give it a go, I have a pretty good short story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

20 grand...
    20 grand'd get me the **** outa Dodge.
    A man could do a lot of things with 20 grand.

/me fantisises about Vegas hookers, snorting coke with €100 notes and thrashing hotel rooms. Hemmingway would be proud.

Advertisement