Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T610 MP3 Player

Options
  • 01-12-2003 2:20pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just bought the MP3 player for the T610. £21 Sterling from mobilefun.co.uk. It's excellent. Great sound. Comes with a 32MB MMC card but just ordered a 256MB card. Well worth the money. The phone itself is the MP3 player. The accessory is just to give access to the Memory card. Definitly recommend!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Looks pretty impressive. Does it come with head phones and how loud does it go?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by JesusThatsGreat
    Looks pretty impressive. Does it come with head phones and how loud does it go?

There is a card reader and handsfree earphones too. It's loud enough.

The card reader is pretty primative in that it's connected with a Parallel connection and the power comes from connecting to the Keyboard port. All good 6 in 1 card readers should read MMC cards though. The actually attachment is tiny and hardly any weight is added to the phone. Let's just say that at £21 Sterling you are getting one hell of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by LFCFan
    There is a card reader and handsfree earphones too. It's loud enough.

The card reader is pretty primative in that it's connected with a Parallel connection and the power comes from connecting to the Keyboard port. All good 6 in 1 card readers should read MMC cards though. The actually attachment is tiny and hardly any weight is added to the phone. Let's just say that at £21 Sterling you are getting one hell of a bargain.

Woop, will be buying one of those so... What are that shower like to order from?

Originally posted by JesusThatsGreat
    Woop, will be buying one of those so... What are that shower like to order from?

Excellent. £4 Sterling and had it 2 working days later by registered post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Hi, Im considering getting this, given the price,size and that Im very happy with my T610 that I only about 10days!

1. The Headphones - is the plug on them a normal 3.5mm jack or a custom one?
    i.e. Would i be able to use any other headphones?

2. What sort of file formats does it support?

3. Is the sound "tin"-ee, i.e. lacking in Bass as many MP3 players are?

4. The supplied reader is a Parralell connected one - is it slow?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Faltermyer
    1. The Headphones - is the plug on them a normal 3.5mm jack or a custom one?
    i.e. Would i be able to use any other headphones?

non standard unfortunatly but the headphones you get are pretty good quality. Also it is a handsfree headphone kit with mic.

2. What sort of file formats does it support?

MP3 only from what I can see. Haven't tried any other type but I'm 99% sure it's only MP3.

3. Is the sound "tin"-ee, i.e. lacking in Bass as many MP3 players are?

You can adjust the Bass and Treble in the menu on the phone. The sound is excellent for something so simple.

4. The supplied reader is a Parralell connected one - is it slow?

Very slow and can be a bit finicky. I have a 6 in 1 reader though which works out a lot better. You can get them cheap on the net. Around €25.

Much obliged.

May I ask where you ordered your 256mb MMC from?

Originally posted by Faltermyer
    Much obliged.

May I ask where you ordered your 256mb MMC from?

http://www.shop4memory.co.uk/ - €86.

Not surprising, the 128MB card is €99 in Dixons :rolleyes:

Just listening to November Rain as I write this and the Bass is excellent. I'm actually stunned at the quality of the player for only £21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

impressive... ordering as we speak..

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

Wow! GBP£21 for an MP3 player? I really cannae belive it! This phone jsut gets better and better. Ordering that staright away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

had one with the T68i and it was great - definately need to get a USB MMC card reader/writer though - just leave the one that comes in the box, in the box :) - it's more a reminder when the item was first released and USB ports wern't supported very well (if anyone remembers that far back ;))

some things i noticed with it was sometimes if you just select all and drag/drop then it can be shuffled up out of order when playing back on the handset

there was a post on esato.com a while back saying that if you got your group of MP3s together (and i'm going from memory...), click the (top) first track and shift + click the (bottom) last track so the group is highlighted, then ctrl + click the top one (so the copy symbol appears) and then drag them to the card and that keeps the track order

the way SE accessories work is to snap together to attach and twist to the side to detatch - so it can sometimes twist and disconnect if in a tight pocket - found a top jacket pocket was the best place for it - alternatively some people on esato.com were able to cut out some card to make the connection a bit stiffer wedging it in - never tried that though - but it was expalined in their discussion forum

there were also some posts about some 3rd party cards not working / offering the full capacity - so make sure to check that a the manufacturer / capacity works on the likes of esato.com - i got a hitachi (branded kodak) 128MB MMC card for it and it worked grand

a great little accessory - and given the cost of their Bluetooth MP3 headset at the moment - a real bargan - just remember to factor in an MMC reader/writer and larger MMC card into the total cost if you don't already have one - the 32MB one won't get you far and the supplied reader/writer isn't great and won't work on some systems - one of the few peripherials that caused XP to totally freak out on me...

BrianG

Thanks Brian. Some helpful practical info there.

I dont have enough use for the likes of an I-POD or any high quality(i.e. expensive) MP3 Player as majority of the time I want music im either at a computer or driving, but this along with a 256mb card would suit me perfect given the amount of use it would get and how cheap and compact it is(I hate carrying extra stuff if walking somewhere!).

Its definitely added to my Christmas list!

New MMC card arrived today from shop4memory (have to pick it up at lunchtime). I'll let yis know the make and whether gives full capacity or not.

New MMC card arrived today from shop4memory (have to pick it up at lunchtime). I'll let yis know the make and whether gives full capacity or not.

So far so good. Don't have enough MP3's with me right now to test the full capacity but it works fine. The Multimeda Card Association on it. It's the one I got from www.shop4memory.com. They're based in Kildare. Free recorded delivery.

cool sounds promising - that would really be great - the 128 MB was almost enough to get me around if heading out and about - a 256 MB would have been perfect - the 32 MB was more like torture beig stuck with only a cople of tracks out for the day! definatley worth investing in a larger card...

www.shop4memory.com is really good - order various types of RAM from them and found they were always really fast with great pricing

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

How much will the 32KB card store? About ten?

32mb! ;)

That depends on what quality you record, and how long the songs are.

At the average 128kb/s , average song is ~4mb. so id call it 8songs.... which could become repetitive!

Im definitely going for a 256mb card, especially as I always rip, and try to download at 160 or 192kb/s due to how crap it can sound when you turn it up if its any lower quality.

depends on what bit rate you encoed the MP3s at - lower bit rate will have a smaller file size but with less quality - higher bit rate had better quality but bigger files

and how long the tracks are... normal 3.5 minute pop music you could fit a few e.g. about 8 tracks from a Coldplay album encoded at 96kbits should fit on a 32 MB card

majority of the stuff i listen to actually sounded grand to me at 96kbit on it (but that was an absolute min. - a handful of tracks didn't turn out too good) - headphones aren't exactally hi-fi anyway - but everyone has their own preference - i've been to a few too many lound gigs in my time so might don't find it easy to tell subtle diferences between some sample rates ;)

BrianG

Just had a search around and I cant seem to find may places other than Mobile Fun selling it, and the few that are, are more expensive.

Anyone have any other recommendations of where to buy or should I just go with MobileFun?

i've seen it quoted twice on expansys.com as being 'the very last time it will be available' - but then every few months a lump of stock seems to appear and then disappear when the stock goes - i expect they don't make it anymore? - what with their Bluetooth MP3 device out that works with their Bluetooth handsets

ordering from expansys.com you'd get hit with a courier charge (if they have stock) - so MobileFun looks like an excellent deal

BrianG

• Advertisement

And is this Card Reader any good?

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/2010.htm

Works out cheaper than the one on shop4memory.com (http://www.shop4memory.com/products/flash-card-reader.asp) at only £13stg + s&h.

Total of it and the MP3 player would be: £39.40stg or €56.28 (XE.com) including shipping.

The USB 1.1 card reader on shop4memory is €27+ s&h...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Can someone post a link to this player. I can't seem to find the one your talking about.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/1021.htm

Enjoy...Im teetering on the verge of ordering at the moment...trying to think of a good reason not to! Everyone Ive told about it agrees its a great deal. Not the most amazing MP3 player around, but excellent value for money wise, especially when taking into account the above comments.

Between it and the USB card reader also on MobileFun and the 256mb card off shop4memory.com, it totals at about €142 (deoending on exchange rate), which is a pretty good deal all round imho.

EDIT: Just noticed that the USB Card Reader/Writer on MobileFun only works for MMCs and SDs, whereas the one on Shop4Memory does nearly all cards. Worth the extra €8 I think!.

I bought the USB 2.0 card reader from shop4memory along with the 256MB card. USB 2.0 is sooooo much better speedwise. Copying 60+ MP3's with USB 1.1 is a pain in the nether regions. Listening to the MP3 player now. I love it. Still can't believe the quality for such a low price. Thing is though, it's probably wrong to say you are buying an MP3 player. You're realy buying a memory card recepticle to allow you to use the built in MP3 player on the phone. Whatver you'd call it though, it's excellent.

As for what you'd fit on the 32MB card. In real world terms (ie. not every track will be 4MB), I could get about 6 on it which is only good enough to test the player, not really use it if you know what I mean. The 256MB card, I've gotten 68 song on it. This is encoding at 128

I bought the USB 2.0 card reader from shop4memory along with the 256MB card. USB 2.0 is sooooo much better speedwise.
    If your computer has USB2 that is! Or if you go and buy and USB 2 PCMCIA card aswell.

The USB2 reader/writer is only an extra €6 though I suppose...

Anyway, ordered the MP3 "Recepticle" ;) off MobileFun.co.uk yesterday evening.
    Going to wait until it arrives before ordereing the 256mb card & USB Card reader/writer off shop4memory.com ... just incase id end up with memory and a reader but no MP3 player!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Well done lads!!

I'm officially broke yet again. :D

Got the shop4memory.com 256MB MMC card and the MP3 dongle and USB MMC reader from mobilefun.co.uk

See you all again next paycheck....

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Just of interest, how much will this take off the battery life fully charged??

That crossed my mind earlier.
    MP3 players are not usually that draining on batteries.

I would guess that if you listened to it for maybe 2hours/day, that instead of getting nearly 3days out of it(which is what im getting at the moment with usage of everything) you might get 2? Though hopefully maybe not that much of a drain??

well so far it doesn't seem to be too draining on the battery.

• Advertisement

Just got mine this morning and Im well impressed.

Stupidly light, and phone is still quite neat with it attached.

Great sound for something so cheap, and the songs Im listening to at the moment are only 128kb/s I think, possibly 160kb/s, didnt check!

Only faults -

1. The capacity of the included card(32MB) is a joke(7songs!), have ordered the 256mb card and reader from shop4memory.com .
    2. You cant use any other feature in the phone when using the MP3 player. To be able to text, use WAP and play games when its on would be good.

Other than that Im happy with my purchase.

Advertisement