Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THX and DVD question!

Options
  • 01-12-2003 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hello,

I just got Logitech ZX680 THX-Certified speakers and am thinking about getting a DVD player as well. What I'm wondering is whether the DVD player also needs to have THX certification, or is the work done by the speakers (same goes for 5.1 - do you need to get a player which specifically states that it is compatible with 5.1). Any advice - or links to relevant online magazines - would be appreciated. I'm trying to set up a reasonable home theatre system (got a projector last month) at low cost, but want to get the best out of the components.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

It looks like the speaker package has a built in decoder so all you need is a DVD player. Any DVD player will do.

The speaker system has both optical and digital coax connections so you also need an optical or coaxial cable to connect them.

There are also plenty of threads here already giving advice on home cinema setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭The Mooche

Thanks for the advice. The speakers arrived this morning before I had to head off for work, so I'm looking forward to setting them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

THX is a certification standard rather than just another sound format like Dolby Digital or DTS. So bucks73 is right, any DVD player will work.

To be able to say you have THX sound in your home cinema, all of your components must be THX rated. So your DVD, interconnects, processor, amps, speaker cable, speakers, projector, screen etc must all be rated THX. Even then there are certain acoustic requirements your room has to meet! Plus the room must be certified by a THX installer.

So the only benefit that THX has to the average punter like us is that you know that the equipment you are buying has met the rigorous standards required to be approved for the THX logo.

More details here

Advertisement