Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRC blocked by a Firewall

• 01-12-2003 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭

I'm sitting here in college using a superfast connecting to the internet but I can't use irc and there are some big files I'd like to download. Can someone tell me is it possible to tunnel through the firewall? Use a proxy or something? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What college? Most colleges have people here, and have found ways to get IRC over their proxy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

go into Option -> Connect -> Firewall and enter the same details that internet explorer uses. to find them out, open internet explorer and click Tools -> internet options and go to connections -> LAN settings. that should do it unless they blocked sumtin sneakily!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

DIT kevin street. Any info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

in sligo IT internet options was blocked so we http tunneled for a while till they figured that out, http is slow but for irc its grand

Thanks for all the replies but when I go into the LAN settings it just goes automatically detect settings. They aren't there. How can I tunnel? WIll loose the fast speed I have? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Http-tunnel used to be free for very slow speeds (suitable for irc) but now they've made the whole thing a pay service.
    There's few other programs out there if you google for them, but they're more awkward to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Me also in Kevin Street :(

Have tried HTTP-Tunnel but i may have set it up wrong, it just will not work. No other P2P will work either apart from Kazaa-Lite.

Keep me posted on any solutions will ya? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

does anybody have any solutions for trinity?

thanks for any help

HTTP tunnel was no good. It was painfully slow for the free service. HAs anyone got any other suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

Well for IRC in college you can't beat CGI:IRC.

Make sure you use the full configuration and turn off encoded_ips. Otherwise quakenet will think you're a floodbot and you'll get a username invalid error.

Now all ya need is a cgi bin!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

in ul u can get around it by getting a shell account from the computer society ie
    skynet for about 3 euro a year and log onto irc from that
    or u can forward a port using putty to the shell account and use it that way
    email the admin of the college computer society and ask

i persume when u said super fast connection and irc u didnt mean to use it for just chat ?
    if its for files - 100% legal ones of course - then a web based channel wont do any good

have a look here
    http://www.penguinhosting.net/~ian/firewall/

Advertisement