Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A winrar question.

Options
  • 01-12-2003 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭

When unzipping a disc image with winrar, of say 50 pars.
    Usually, they'll be numbered 001,002, etc. so you can use the wizard to rebuild them into an image.

This time however, once I unzip them, they have no numbers!

I've ran fsraid on them, to no avail.

Does anybody know whats happening here? Or wether it's the fault of the person who zipped them in some way?

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What are they called instead?
    If you sort them by date and rename them, maybe you'll get them in the right order?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭patch

Their just given the usual name, without any numbers, so the winrar wizard just thinks their all the same file!

I wouldn't mind, but all the pars are numbered BEFORE I unzip them. Unless someone has a handy fix, I'll have to do each at a time......:eek:

If the file is not humongous, attach it here and we'll see.

I'm guessing it's at least gargantuan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Sorry, I might be getting a bit too basic here, but this may be your problem..... If all those files had exactly the same name they would not be able to exist in the same zip file, and I've nver heard of a zip file changing the names. Sounds like you have the extensions hidden in you windows explorer settings. Normally rar files are named name.rar, name.r00, name.r01 etc etc, but id you have the file extensions hidden in windows they will all appear as name, name, name, name.

yeah, tis a huge file.
    I've used winrar plenty by the way, the files are all numbered as usual, but once I've unzipped them, the numbers disappear! This is the first time this has happened. I'm going to reinstall winrar for the crack.
    I'll let ye know how I get on.

• Advertisement

Open a DOS window and DIR the directory you unzipped it to.

Interesting.
    I un-installed winrar, but when I tried to re-install it said this:

cannot create Rar Ext.dll

Looks like I may have to rebuild. Thank god for Ghost.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

remember PKUNZIP -d , it didnt restore the full path by default.

also did the files have spaces or more than one dot in the name ?

Stupid Q - you haven't hidden the extensions ??

I thought it was just one image, but it seems Winrar won't put together ANY archives for me. I tried reinstalling, but no joy.

Next I'll try and clear any files relating to winrar from the registry, and reinstalling again.

It's odd that I can 'unzip' the archives, ie. mp3's etc, but the wizard just won't put together an image for me.

Cheers for all the replies so far guys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Keep this discussion technical please. If cracks and the like are mentioned again, I'm binning it.

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement