Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Slow the last few days?

• 01-12-2003 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

Over the last few day's I have noticed it is taking ages for most webpages to open.
    I am on the Leixlip exchange anyone else notice any problems?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i'm on the blanchardstown exchange myself davexirl and i have'nt noticed any slow down .

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

Im on the leixlip exchange and its perfect for me.

You might have a virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Could a Norton Firewall 2004 be doing anything to it my downloads seem fine its just opening web pages.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You could always switch it off and see what difference it makes?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

Originally posted by dub45
    You could always switch it off and see what difference it makes?

hey hey slow down, that would be just too crazy!

• Advertisement

When I got the Eircom broadband first everything was fast but now even opening this thread took a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

no problems here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by Davexirl
    Could a Norton Firewall 2004 be doing anything to it my downloads seem fine its just opening web pages.

A firewall may slow down your P2P downloads (kazaa) but it should not affect downloads off the web (try microsoft.com for instance), are you noticing a slow down on all downloads?

Downloads seem fine it is the opening of web pages which seem a lot slower to when I first got it.

Downloads seem fine it is the opening of web pages which seem a lot slower to when I first got it.
    Well if your download speeds seem fine then it is probably an issue with internet explorer. You might have some spyware running through IE that is slowing you down. Try to either install a different browser opera or Firebird/mozilla .
    also try downloading something like spybot search & destroy off download.com to see if any malicous spyware was installed on your system.

• Advertisement

Well I downloaded spy hunter and it found 14 in my registry, and 70 in my cookies. but it won't let me delete them I have to purchase it to delete it.

Is there any free ones out on the web that will delete the files as well

Well I downloaded spy hunter and it found 14 in my registry, and 70 in my cookies. but it won't let me delete them I have to purchase it to delete it.

Is there any free ones out on the web that will delete the files as well
    Try spybot search and destroy as I suggested earlier, just type spybot into the search box at download.com

I did that and removed about 70 of them and kept 5 because they were in Internet Explorer and I dont want to remove any of them incase it does some damage to it.

I try to open www.cd-wow.com.hk/ still slow as well is boards.ie

I dont know whats happening still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Maybe you could try deleting the temporary internet folder. If its too big i hear it can cause slow downs when trying to access sites. That could be bs but its worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Here's a few sites to test your broandband on

http://promos.mcafee.com/speedometer/test_0150.asp

http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

Here's a great site to run test and also tweak your broadband. Lots of stuff there

http://www.broadbandreports.com/tweaks

Good Luck and happy surfing!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I'm in D15 (Blanchardstown).

I have the 1MBit uncapped line, and my Eircom connection is crawling right now (and I have 4 computers running, and they are all running slow).

I'm gonna go through a full reboot (gonna reboot the router, firewall and all computers) on my network. If that doesn't solve my problem (which it probably won't), I'll have to start complaining to Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

have noticed a bit of a slowdown during peak hours, but thats only some sites. pings are still excellent all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

check if you have a proxy enabled in ie under lan settings this might explain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

There's been a noticable slowdown for me as well (particularly on opening webpages - downloading is less effected). Running the 1Meg package out of the Summerhill exchange. It only started late last week. A new PC at the same time had me suspecting firewall issues, but I'm having the same problem on an unchanged Mac setup.
    Let us know what you learn if you're talking to eircom.

no proxy enabled. this is something that lies at eircom's door.

• Advertisement

did you goto their support site and try downloading their test file ?!?Link If you get a slow download on that under 25k then there is a problem although you should get 50k but eircom wont care as long as you get over 25k. If its over 25k, have you tried another browser ?!? Opera or somehting as ie might be just acting up. If its under 25 give eircom a call it might be somehting wrong with your account.

no, like I say; file download speeds seem to be fine. The problem (with my current scenario) is that webpages are noticeably slower to open. I'm not a dentist, but it smells like some DNS issue to me.

I am having the same problems and tonight it wont connect at all to broadband i am on my dial up connection now.

Is anyone having the same problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Did you try different DNS servers. I use eircom DNS servers with my NTL BB and they seem ok.

lol, id doubt it im using their dsl now and not getting the same prob id assume if it was a dns problem everyone would be getting it. Have you tried entering dns numbers into tcp ip ?!? might help your computer by stopping it having to search for the dns servers.

Broadband is back up and running need to get the other problem sorted as in it is taking a while for pages to load.

I got these numbers to put in in TCP/IP on my USB connection hope these help

Primary 159. 134. 237. 6

Alternate 159. 134. 248. 17

Actually try setting up a dial up service with elive If you dial through them then still have slow webpages (well slower than should be on dial up) then youd be eliminating dsl and eircom as the problem as youd be on a diferrent server.

Another Question do you leave you modem switched on or off. Does it matter at all if you do or don't.

If your setting up a dial up connection then turn your dsl modem off or it wont know which connection to use and could still use the broadband one,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

My problem actually went away after rebooting all the stuff on my network (router, firewall and all computers).

After rebooting my router, it wouldn't connect back to Eircom. However, I left it off for a day, and when I turned it back on, it connected fine, and speed was ok.

I'm DLing at 94Kb/sec right now :)

Advertisement