Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 repairs ?

Options
  • 01-12-2003 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Can anyone reccomend anywhere that does Playstation2 repairs ?

My PS2 wont play games or DVDs anymore, all it will do is play audio CDs. I've had a look around the net, and by all reports it looks like a laser failure, the part doesnt look too expensive.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

siyucom 8856000

they are based in terenure and have a new place on the northside somewhere 2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ars. Technica has a very detailed article on Laser re-alignment on old PS2s...

May be worth a look before you go down the commercial route..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

ARS Technica, what a name! :D

but seriously, you`d be surprised what a clean of the lense will do for u ;)
    Try that first. If not then it may be possible to get it tweaked back to life !

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've had the PS2 apart, tried a bit of nail varnish remover (:eek: ) to clean the lense, but it didnt do any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

nail varnish remover!!! are you crazy?? all you need is a cotton bud with some methaylated spirits and wipe the lens gently,if your machine is v3 then lazer most likely is knackered (30003 with ten screw bays underneath)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

God damn 30003's :mad: Mine has been knackered for over a year now ("Disc Read Error"). Opened it up many times to fiddle, getting the thing to recognise any disc was just down to luck.

Then i found a tutorial on calibrating the lasers on some forum, which alot of people claimed to have worked. Under the laser component there are 2 screws which you can adjust to change voltage. It never worked for me (or i made a balls of it - which btw can very easily happen). Anyway it was a while back and i forget the site url but i may have the tutorial somewhere if yer interested, it was fairly in depth.

Really could'nt be bothered getting another PS2, but anyone know where i could get "el cheapo" parts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Hi,
    I saw this guy posting on another forum, might be worth a look. he sells new lasers quite cheaply! Might be able to bring that 30003 back to life :) Hope it helps

QUOTE "New Prices For Ps2 Lasers !!!
    HI Please find NEW PRICES FOR PS2 LASER
    KHS400B(v1-v4)
    1-5pcs 40US$
    6-10pcs-37u$S
    11-30pcs-35US$
    31-50pcs-30US$

KHS400C (v1-v9)
    1-5pcs 50US$
    6-10pcs-47US$S
    11-30pcs-44US$
    31-50pcs-40US$