Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UT hits the shops today - Woohoo - (sorry board purists)

Options
  • 03-12-1999 2:36pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Yep just bought it in Game £29.99. Let's get it on. 50 maps. oooh yeah. Amazingly enough it arrived in Game today and it's already number1 in their charts.

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I got it in EB this morning, same price. But all the machines in work are too $hite to run it. The nearest thing is a comp that has an STB Velocity 128 with year old drivers (the most recent available).

needless to remark, UT isnt having any of it, so gotta wait til tonight sad.gif Didn't realise there was a chainsaw in it as well, secondary fire is a horizontal swipe for decapitating your oppo smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

No WAAY! [insert sounds of amp leaving house fast here]

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

By the by - someone was asking about instagib. It's an option on practice session (and for server set-up). Yeah can't play it here so I'll have to wait until I get home too.

A server can be set up as either DM, Domination, CTF, Assault, Tournament Team Game or Last Man Standing. The gameplay options includes "mutators" which include:-
    "Fatboy" - if you die alot you get thinner, if you kill alot you get fatter.
    "Instagib" - The only weapon is an extra deadly Shock Rifle.One shot - one kill.
    "Stealth" - Everybody-s invisible.
    "Jumpmatch" - Everyone can jump as if they have the Anti Grav Boots.

Something else I didn't know about was the dodging. A quick double-tap on a direction key makes you dodge in that direction. Nice smile.gif

Things I didn't know about weapons:-

Impact Hammer - Just hold the fire button and it will automatically fire when you touch someone. Secondary fire can be used to deflect enemy fire.
    Ripper - the one that fires blades that ricochet or explode.Wasn't in demo but I remember it from Unreal.
    Redeemer - Can't wait to see this in action. Launches a mini nuclear warhead or you can launch it and guide it. Where's Peter Sellers?

The translocator is a nifty item. Throw your destination module and then you can press the right mouse button to teleport to it. Manual claims you can throw the module at an enemy and if you're quick enough you can telefrag him. Cool.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I've seen a lot of people travelling about by throwing the translocator ahead of them and then teleporting to it 2 seconds later. Not great if you want to get somewhere in a hurry, but on a level with lots of narrow corridors, you can telefrag loads of people by accident smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You should like the Redeemer Muso, secondary fire is a remote guided missile so you can guide it in to the target whilst laughing like a demented loon smile.gif

Just make sure you're standing a long, long way, away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

All the silly vvankers are comparing the Redeemer to the BFG in Quake2 and saying it'll be taken off the really hardcore servers.

Why oh why does there always have to be a pack of ar$eholes in every game who refuse to play it properly?

The Redeemer is an insanely tactical weapon. It's very powerful, but also easy to shoot down (yes, you can shoot the Redeemer out of the sky), leaves the shooter exposed while he pilots, is hard to control and very easy to suicide with. And its respawn times are horrendous.

Also, on a lot of levels it requires a concerted team effort to even GET the Redeemer...

However, on some levels (CTF-Face, CTF-Lavagiant spring to mind) it's a vital addition - someone sends in a Redeemer as a signal to the attackers to get their act together, and to send the enemy into disarray before an assault. In DM, sure, it's just overpowered and fun, but if you have a problem with that then your team must learn to cover the Redeemer respawn same as you would the shield belt or the damage amp or the invisibility... Consider it more of a powerup and less of a weapon.

And play the game like it was intended and stop your b1tching and moaning, for fuks sake smile.gif

(I've crossposted this to the Unreal board. Post followups there please, or you run the risk of very bad karma from MindPhuck)

[This message has been edited by Shinji (edited 03-12-1999).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

To be honest, I really don't care weither you post UT/Quake/naf here at all.

I was just taking the pish outta you UT boyos, nufing personal at all. Just having a laugh.

What can be annoying is when certain people post saying 'wtf am I posting to a UT article for?' when the actual UT post was on a quake forum!! Amazing that.

Isnt that the pot calling the kettle black ?

Anyhows, post all you like. It saves me having to look in the UT forum as well as the Quake one biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Just wonderin
    What are the system requirements are for UT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

its muppets like MP that should be banned form the boards forever.

lets stop the muppetry

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

I'd recommend at least a p2/celeron 400 with 128megs of ram and voodoo2 upwards for smooth gameplay. Obviously tweaking the graphics can give significant gain on lower end machines like the one described here. Basicly If your happy with your machines q3 performance you'll love UT's (provided you have 128megs ram)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The recommended specs according to the brand new copy of the manual I just bought are:
    PII 233/266
    64 mb ram
    605mb hd
    3d accelerator

but then my systems sooo much faster tongue.gif

Oh and I was an Assault virgin before today. ME LIKE! specially that train level. It truly does ro><or!

hmmm Clan Ro><or anyone? smile.gif

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

ye runs grand on my 700mhz, tntu2, 192ram

sunglasses.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Hey eric...you remember painkeep and requiem? a bit like UT cept worse graphics and more weapons, or was that the same weapons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

^ ^ ^ ^ spot the shameless attempt at pc-envy smile.gif

Advertisement