Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xda II

Options
  • 01-12-2003 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I know Dubwireless had a thread on this a while back but I couldn't find it.

Anyway has anyone bought one of these, I'm thinking of buying one.

Also O2.ie doesn't seem to have any pricing info on it so anyone got any idea on prices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

here you go - was left on the Wireless board

got a unit last week, not from O2 though, but a non-operator branded model called the i-Mate

O2 had some units on show a the Toys for Big Boys event last month, their Christmas magazine listed it "from Eur 449" - but just said coming soon with no other pricing info

noticed expansys.com were listing the XDA II was also available as a SIM Free model, with the the unlock code provided

still putting it thourgh it's paces, but it sure likes it's power getting used to juggling what wireless to enable/disable

there is an issue in that so many processes are launched at startup that your apps can close when behind the scenes (it's a limitation of Windows CE coupled with all the sevices etc required on such a high end device) - been playing with what items are safe to remove from start-up

the bluetooh implementation isn't great, it's Microsoft's first roll-out and compared to the features/interface available in the Widcomm stack you get on the iPAQs it is pretty poor - but works for basic active-sync (can be used for an internet pass thru'), dial-up networking and headset (yet to test the headset) - no file transfer or network access - funny enough you can dial out using an other handset via bluetooth

compared to the first XDA it is a pretty impressive evolution, and the post above goes through the specs etc

holding off getting a WiFi SD card until I get confirmation from the vendors when the Palm OS 5 drivers are out (one keeps delaying, another won't confirm, would want to use the card with Palm as well as Pocket PC)

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well I called a few places today to check on the price of this and I didn't get much info.

Local O2 store said they had no info on it yet.

Then I tried calling O2 telesales was listening to there queue music for 20 minutes so then I called 1909 O2 support and got given a dublin number where I gave them my info and they said they would have someone call me back.

Got fed up waiting so called telesales again got straight through and was told there was no pricing in yet, I asked why then was it in the Irish Independent on sunday on the O2 website saying "from €469" he said he didn't know as it wasn't released yet. He said it was being released on Monday.

Someone then called me back from headquaters and said there was no definite price yet but that we were reckoning it would be around the €469 mark!!:rolleyes:

So I asked him when would they have a price and they said whenever it was released, I informed him that someone in telesales said it was being released monday, he said that IT WAS STILL IN TESTING and he couldn't gurantee it would be monday, but he did GURANTEE IT WOULD BE RELEASED BY XMAS.

So hey what great company they are they adveritse it in the sunday paper and on there web-site at €469 but then say they have no pricing yet??

Well I think I'l be keeping the add from sunday incase they decide to up the price, after all false advertising is against the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

they had a URL on the Christmas brochure and it's listing there 'from Eur 449'
    http://web.o2.ie/portal/zones/gifts/index.html

suppose they will have several prices depending on the upgrade / contract being taken out - maybe they are trying to get that sorted out before confirming pricing details

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

So whats the story? Is it out yet?

I asked in Northside the other day and they reckon it won't be released until after Christmas now???

Originally posted by wolfman
    So whats the story? Is it out yet?

I asked in Northside the other day and they reckon it won't be released until after Christmas now???

I'm calling them later today, sent an e-mail but got no reply!!!

O2 in my experience have no communication within their organisation, one person says one thing and another says something different.

I'l let you know what they say

• Advertisement

Available to ORDER from today and is available at 449 until the end of january!!

Thats what one bloody ignorant cutomer services rep told me after about 10 minutes.:rolleyes:

Advertisement