Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Goverment sharing your details ith insurance cos

Options
  • 02-12-2003 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any way to prevent the govt from giving your driving record to Insurance companies? Does the Data proctection act 1988 cover this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yes the act would cover any data up to the time they change the law. Generally the law cannot be made retrospective. However, insurance companies will merely make you sign a waiver to gain access to penalty points data, etc. Prosecutions are already in the public domain and not covered by the Data Protection Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks Victor,

I heard an ad for Hiberian, who I belive have access to the records saying to have your licence to hand when you call. I would take this to mean the govt has given them a list of licence numbers and the points attached.

Can a person request that the govt dont share a record? Is it too late now to stop them?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Can a person request that the govt dont share a record? Is it too late now to stop them?
    I suspect what they are doing is "cheating" and creating a record of quotes given by licence and when they eventually get access they will then make comparisions. Alternatively during the phonecall you have to give them your permission to contact the DoT / Garda.

Advertisement