Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie question:

• 02-12-2003 3:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

Just got Eircom Broadband w a Netopia Cayman Modem. (Just WHAT was I doing with Dial-up?)

Anyway. ...Dell laptop has WLAN Mini PCI card. What hardware/software solutions and cost to have a wireless connection to my modem ?

Do laptops float in the bath ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

You could try the Wireless forum,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=86
    Someone there may help you.
    Best. E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

thanks Tonky. posted it there instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Spinnaker
    Just got Eircom Broadband w a Netopia Cayman Modem. (Just WHAT was I doing with Dial-up?)

Anyway. ...Dell laptop has WLAN Mini PCI card. What hardware/software solutions and cost to have a wireless connection to my modem ?

This SMC Barricade Turbo Wireless 22 Mbps 802.11b+, 256-bit WEP, 3-port switch from Komplett looks like a pretty good deal. (You might have to click on the link above twice to get to it).

You don't say whether you laptop support 802.11b or 802.11g?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

The card supports "g" and is backward compatible to "b" i assume that the laptop is configured to used g capability as default...

The Dell™ TrueMobile™ 1300 WLAN Mini PCI Card offers the latest in wireless technology supporting the new IEEE 802.11g draft specification. This card delivers maximum channel speed of up to 54 Mbps while maintaining interoperability within the 2.4 GHz band with full backward compatibility to 802.11b networks.

Advertisement