Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB cap reset early?

• 02-12-2003 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Before I ring IOLBB support, just wondered if anyone else has seen this.

Seeing as I had about a gig and a half of my allowance left on Sunday, the last day of November, I decided to make the most of it and download a few biggish files that I was needing.

According to dumeter (excellent bit of software by the way) I used about 900mb. Fair enough. Still well within my limit.

Checked my usage statistics on the website yesterday morning at about 9.30am, expecting the cap to be reset as it was December 1st, to find that it looks as if my usage for Sunday has been carried over to this month for some reason. So I'm already down almost a gig for the month!

The funny thing is that according to my stats I was logged on on Dec 1st for over 10 hours. Which was a bit odd seeing that it was 9.30 in the morning so we weren't even 10 hours into December 1st.

I thought that it may have been a glitch as the usage stats are a day behind, but checked it again this morning and it's still there, along with what I actually used yesterday.

The only thing I can think of is that I was still logged on through midnight on Sunday so maybe the usage software got a bit confused and counted Sundays use over to Monday. However, I did finish off about 12.15 and turned everything off including the modem and router and no-one else in the house uses it.

Anyway, about to ring support but just wondered if anyone else had noticed this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Originally posted by kmurph

The only thing I can think of is that I was still logged on through midnight on Sunday so maybe the usage software got a bit confused and counted Sundays use over to Monday. However, I did finish off about 12.15 and turned everything off including the modem and router and no-one else in the house uses it.

I'd say your spot on there, the system probably can't calculate the stats until your session has ended and because your session ended on Dec. 1st it has counted towards this months cap. Give em a ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Nope, it didn't get confused, it did exactly what it was supposed to do - update the totals when you logged off. You logged off on the 1st, so everything for that session counts against December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

Nope, it didn't get confused, it did exactly what it was supposed to do - update the totals when you logged off. You logged off on the 1st, so everything for that session counts against December.

And is this mentioned anywhere in the terms and conditions?

Support have told me the same thing so I'm waiting to get in touch with customer care. I'm really not happy about losing 1/8 of my allowance for the whole month because of an extra 15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

And is this mentioned anywhere in the terms and conditions?
    You tell me - as a customer, I presume you've got a copy of these T&Cs, and have actually read them?

It's certainly been explained here on this board in the last week or two, so it's not exactly a state secret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

I had the same issue - logged off just before midnight and had nearly half a gig carried over, when i checked the usage calculator the next morning. (There was a warning on my usage meter "at your current rate of usage you will be over the limit in 27 days"...) ye ye ye..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Damn the same thing happened to me! I'm already at 1.5Gb cause of downloading some linux isos on the 30th NOOOO! my x-mas will be ruined:mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

I don't remember this happening before, as I'd often be using it through midnight, especially at the weekend.

Can't get through to customer care naturally enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

2 quick questions.

(1) I have tried to get into iol site to check my usage but cant seem to log in. Am I right to say its username@iolbb and password is the same as what I log into broadband ? What am I doing wrong ?

(2) If a downloaded audio file is say 3,337kb, how many of these can I download to stay within limit ? CAnt get my head around the noughts, megas and gigas etc.

Approx how many songs can you download to stay within the download cap ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

(1) For the username you don't need to put "@iolbb" at the end of your username, that's only for logging on to the internet, so say is your username is joesoap@iolbb, put in joesoap and your normal password.

(2) 2397 songs - Although surely you will be doing other stuff on the internet which means won't be able to download that many. Should be able to get about 2000 though if you did very little other downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

thanks. That worked. Only 1Gb - what is everyone downloading that uses up so much ? I have downloaded a fair bit of music. I sis full movies. BTW how do you download a movie onto cd-r ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement