Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Refractor Telescope

Options
  • 02-12-2003 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭

Is this telescope any use? I'd be interested in getting one for christmas. Maybe get a taste for astronomy.
    Spec:

"Sagittal professional mount and perfectly fitted aluminium tripod for stable and sturdy observation
    For observing nature as well as astronomical use
    Magnification: 35x - 175x
    Max. magnification with accessories: 525x
    Specular refraction camera can be connected to telescope!
    5 year guarantee."
    €65 yoyos

I know absoluty nothing about telescopes btw.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

I was just going to post this. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

dia dhuit,

i would say that this telescope is of poor quality. a general rule of thumb is if you are buying a low end beginners refractor (say of objective lens diameter 60mm), if you're paying less than €150 its bound to be crap.

the description given on the Lidl site lacks all the important information needed when deciding to buy a telescope, ie.

what is the diameter of the objective lens (bigger the better)
    what focal length does the objective lens have
    what eyepiece(s) come with the scope
    what accesory(s) come with the scope
    who is the scope made by

I for one would not go near it with a ten foot pole, sry if this dissapoints ye but you really need a bigger budget to get an entry level refractor (at least €150)

slán,
    jAH

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Cheers jArgHA.
    I'll hold off till after Christmas when the cash flow is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Here are most of the technical details:
    Technical data:
    - Focal Length: 700mm
    - Objective diameter: 70mm
    Accessories:
    - Eyepiece 20mm+4mm (35x + 175x)
    - View-finder scope 6 x 30
    - Star diagonal prism
    - Aluminium tripod
    - Equatorial mount
    - Astronomy software and Star Navigator on CD

Can't find anything about who makes it, but how do those details look? Are those details enough, or is there something else that I should look for if buying a telescope?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Those specifications look OK, ie. match what an entry level refractor should have. It's the price and non-brand that would worry me.

I am speaking from experience as first refractor I received from Santy was practically the same as the one detailed on Lidl website, with a similar cost (around £50) at the time. I was thrilled at first, when looking at the spectacular objects like the moon and the giant planets - Jupiter & Saturn. However when it came to observing anything else the scope was very poor - unstable mount, dodgy slewing (left-right, up down), poor image quality, chromatic aberration (bad colours).

Bottom Line: A new refractor for under €150 is bound to be poor and may destroy a budding interest in astronomy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

What telescope would ye suggest jArgHA?
    My little bro is showing an interest and I'd love to start him off early. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

See Albert's post in this thread for more information on choosing scopes and where to get good ones http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126375

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Originally posted by jArgHA
    Those specifications look OK, ie. match what an entry level refractor should have. It's the price and non-brand that would worry me.

A lot of non brand stuff is coming in from (maily) China. Some of it has very good optics. Decent quality low end scopes have come down a lot in price. That is not to say all reasonably prices scopes are worth the money however!
    However when it came to observing anything else the scope was very poor - unstable mount, dodgy slewing (left-right, up down), poor image quality, chromatic aberration (bad colours).

Though there are plenty of scopes that you can get that will fit nicely on a camera tripod, for example http://www.scsastro.co.uk/it050006.htm so you can get around buying mounts.
    Bottom Line: A new refractor for under €150 is bound to be poor and may destroy a budding interest in astronomy.
    Not so sure thats true, I have heard folks singing the praises of scopes from lidl. search for lidl on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/irishfas for some opinions.

Also prices on http://www.andromedaoptics.com/refrac.html start at 100EUR.

Now granted these scopes are not going to be brilliant beginner scopes, but if you want something with a bit of magnifying power, and you really want a telescope rather than binoculars, and dont want to spend much money then low end refractors are the way to go.

As for general advice for cheap refractors.
    . avoid scopes with plastic components.
    . at least 70mm lens diameter.
    . sturdy mount.
    . some coating on the lens. realy cheap scopes wont have any.
    . avoid tasco et. al. as they still cant seem to make even passable scopes! look in the argos catalogue for examples.
    . avoid scopes with barlow lenses as included accessories at these prices. they are bound to bee too low in quality and also useless for the scopes.

Cheers,
    ~Al
    --
    www.irishastronomy.org

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

I would more or less be a complete beginner, would this be appropriate, what kind of views could one expect. For example planets, moons, etc.

With that scope you would most likely get good views of the moon you would see craters and mountain ranges. As for planets I suspect you would be able to resolve the rings of saturn however you would not be able to see the individual rings with such a scope you may also be able to see Jupiters moons as points of light around the planet, Jupiter itself would appear as a tiny disk and I doubt you would see any banding or the red spot. deep sky objects like the orion nebula should also be easily viewable. There is an awful lot more that would be outside of the capabilities of that scope.

• Advertisement

From Terry Mosley:

Some of you may already have got an earlier version of this - if so,
    apologies. But since trying the first transmission, I have been informed that it will
    be on sale in ROI from Monday at an unbelievable €64.99! That's only about
    £45.50.... So if you live close to the border, you know which way to go! (hope
    it's the same scope!)
    [Rest of original email follows]

I'm now reliably informed that the Lidl 70mm telescope goes on sale on
    Monday. And it now comes complete with "Astronomy software and Star Navigator on
    CD". But the ad in Sunday Life does not mention the 'terrestrial' barlow,
    although it still may be included.

BTW, the ad is a bit off-putting in that there's some weird translation,
    presumably from the German: it refers to the possibility of adding a "Specular
    refraction camera" to the telescope. Now that's a new one even to me...... And it
    also refers to the mount, not only as being an equatorial, which it is, but
    as "Sagittal". Again, that's new to me, unless it's a trade name. However,
    don't let that put you off, and anyway, the instructions that came with mine were
    clear & comprehensive.
    Three other points: it has a built in lens hood / dew shield; the tube is
    well baffled internally; and the focuser is nice & steady & smooth, and has
    plenty of travel.
    The optical tube assembly (w/o eyepiece) weighs only 1.1kg, so it's very
    light, even though it has a metal tube. The minum tube length is 700mm, but you
    could reduce that to 620mm by temporarily removing the focussing mount, so it
    would be quite easy to transport for anyone thinking of travelling abroad for
    the Transit of Venus in June. You could also easily make an adaptor to mount
    it on a camera tripod (I have already done so) if you didn't want to bring an
    equatorial mount. Over to you, folks. (No, I don't have shares in Lidl. And
    I'm risking the wrath of North Down Telescopes. Among others... But it's all for
    the benefit of you, the consumer!) BTW, they don't take credit cards! Just
    Debit cards, or cash, or a cheque & cheque card.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And the store in Lucan ain't opening till thursday :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Guess what I got :D

Since I live in an area with a lot of light polution the viewing ain't going to be great anyway.
    Still putting the bits together - suprising amount of metal in it..

The "prism" is of course a mirror - but you could fit a real prism if you took the cover off.
    Unlike a Tasco scope I got (Argos 16 day ;) ) the finder scope has glass lenses.

Assembley - diagrams ain't great

SW included is MEADE "limited edition astromony software" copyright 1999 - ie Starry Night Bundle Edition.

Not sure how good it is since there are lots of street lights here - and it wouldn't focus on any of them - too close. So tried a bright star , at first thought there was a lot of aberation.. turns out it was Saturn - my first time seeing the rings. :)

Anyway by the time you consider the tripod and mount there ain't a lot left for the optics -

Hmm... they also have 50mm Binoculars for €30 - though they look like zoom ones Enlargement 8:24so probably ok for terresterial only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cobyrne

Does anyone know if those 'scopes are still available? Are there any Lidl shops that still stock them, or are they sold out?

Thanks.

There was a pallet load in Lucan up until the week before christmas - then gone - reckon a lot went as last minute pressies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

have you had a chance to try yours yet Capt'n?

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Not sure how good it is since there are lots of street lights here - and it wouldn't focus on any of them - too close. So tried a bright star , at first thought there was a lot of aberation.. turns out it was Saturn - my first time seeing the rings. :)
    Been too busy / too wet / windy to retry since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

Been too busy / too wet / windy to retry since

you could always set it up in the livingroom and have a squint at your neighbours ;)

there are lots of street lights here - and it wouldn't focus on any of them - too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Astro beginner here.

I bought this telescope. I thought it was an impressive setup. Certainly a lot of metal. I don’t think there was any plastic except for around the eyepiece.

Totally in awe when I got to see Saturn’s rings with it.
    Using the software it was very easy to find. The planet and rings were totally white on the dark sky with very little detail (normal??). But I could see through the planet and the rings. I'll try to take a photo and post it here.

Still cannot get the equatorial mount configured correctly - manual wasn’t great ; just 4 pages in bad English - and without it those planets race across the view at a surprising lick of speed (gone in about 30 seconds at highest magnification) and can be trick to track.

So Questions:
    1. Anyone have any good info on setting up the equatorial mount ( I presume its a standard setup)
    2. Any suggestions to what else I should be looking out for (besides the moon)?

Cheers,
    ozmo.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ozmo
    I bought this telescope. I thought it was an impressive setup. Certainly a lot of metal. I dont think there was any plastic except for around the eyepiece.

And the O ring attaching the scope to the mount. I discovered it was plastic when I broke it attaching it to another mount...
    1. Anyone have any good info on setting up the equatorial mount ( Ipresume its a standard setup)
    There are many ways to set it up and tweak it. I'll post some URLs tommorw about it. Basically the principle is that it should point towards the north pole, and you slowly turn one of the knobs to keep a star in place.
    2. Any suggestions to what else should I be looking out for (besides the moon)?
    Planets, most will be visible in this scope. Double stars. The brightest nebulae (eg in Orions Sword) and the andromeda galaxy. A lot of other `fuzzy` objects are visible but not very impressive.

Download the latest Arcturus magazine from http://www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/viewFiles.php?folder_id=3 and it should give you an idea whats visible at the moment.

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Heres a few photos taken with the skylux last night - totally amateur (held digital camera up to the eyepiece), but still nice IMHO:

http://picasaweb.google.com/david.masterson/MoonPhotos

These were using the 20mm eyepiece, I couldn't get the scope still enough for a clear shot while handholding a camera at the higher magnifications, but you could see a lot more detail just looking through the scope with the 4mm eyepiece...

Heres a few photos taken with the skylux last night - totally amateur (held digital camera up to the eyepiece), but still nice IMHO:

http://picasaweb.google.com/david.masterson/MoonPhotos

These were using the 20mm eyepiece, I couldn't get the scope still enough for a clear shot while handholding a camera at the higher magnifications, but you could see a lot more detail just looking through the scope with the 4mm eyepiece...

Nice job:)
    They are not bad at all.
    Did you use any filters to take those?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

no, just point and shoot.

Advertisement