Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bicycle Lanes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by tunney
    How about if the lazy wasters you drive <6 miles to work got off their fat *rses and walked/cycled to work we'd have less traffic, less fat b*stards, less of a strain on health care system and then we'd all be even more happier.
    There's a lot of anger in that post. Is that to somehow deflect that you might not obey the rules of the road when cycling, perhaps? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by tunney
    How about if the lazy wasters you drive <6 miles to work got off their fat *rses and walked/cycled to work we'd have less traffic, less fat b*stards, less of a strain on health care system and then we'd all be even more happier.
    Agreed. Traffic this morning was a dream. Conclusion? Stop driving your kids to school and make them walk or cycle(but educate them on the rules of the road). They'll thank you when they're older...

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Originally posted by seamus
    Because you actually had to stop at the lights?

Ahh now seamus, I thought you were a like-minded two-wheeler ? shame-on-you :D I did actually heed the lights _there_ where the guard was (Mullingar House). I did have a tendency to slip through a T junction where I didn't cross traffic when there were no peds crossing at the lights. Couldn't be seen to knock down a ped when they had the right of way, loike.

The guard had a real bad habit of stopping buses as they approached him after letting loads of passengers board 20 yards away. Just to let out the big mercs and beemers coming from Castleknock. I don't think he really understood the concept of traffic flow. And he was an old cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

hey guys i used to live in nottingham and if you want to see real cycle lanes i used to cycle from one side of the city to the other along major roads on completly seperate cycle lane system it was fantastic haven't seen anything close outside of obvious european they were also fully signposted with directions to all the suburbs and main places such as hospital universities etc, and bike racks everywhere and guess what loads of people used them. car drivers should stop complaining about cyclists trying to survive on dublin roads. they also had bike triggered pelican crossings with barriers close enough so you don't have to unclip and a great road surface (luckily i now live in donegal and the traffic volume is pretty low except they can't

check this map out all routes interconnect and try where possible to keep traffic apart i always amazed at the incompetence of planners in ireland to take best practice from elswhere and use it

www.itsnottingham.info/cycle.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

holer flurking schnitt that looks comprehensive. painting a bit of the road that contains on the manholes red does not constitute a cycle lane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

One reason many cyclists do not know that cycle lane use is obligatory is because the laws making it compulsory were passed without debate and without any consultation.

Even the seasoned campaigners were caught by surprise when the laws were passed.

Unfairly, there are no laws requiring the authorities to conform to standards of useability when they design or construct them & when requirements for legally defined markings and signs are ignored by the local athorities, there is no penalty.

So, the authorities pretend to build a 'strategic cycling network' and cyclists pretend to use them.

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by cyclopath2001
    One reason many cyclists do not know that cycle lane use is obligatory is because the laws making it compulsory were passed without debate and without any consultation.
    It's also not in the Rules of the Road, because the RotR haven't been revised in 10 years.

Advertisement