Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another dog

• 02-12-2003 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hello back in May we got a mixed breed lab/terrier. AT the time he was 8 weeks old.
    He is now roughly 8 months old.

In the evenings he follows me everywhere and whines if left in the room by himself and appears to have separation anxiety
    He gets a lot of attention at present but is left on his own during the working week

We have toyed with the idea of getting another dog as companionship.

Would you suggest a 2yr old + or a brand new puppy.

How would our current pup react, generally he is quite playful with other pups but would he feel upstaged.

I would prefer 2 happy dogs

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I have two dogs. I originally had a mongrel and last febuary I got a German shepard pup.
    They get on fine at the mo.
    The GSD is now almost a year. Theyre both dogs and they say that it can be a problem and you should have a dog and a bitch but so far i've had no trouble!
    The GSD wants to play with the other dog all the time and the mongrel does get annoyed from time to time but its no big deal.
    I would advise you to get a dog the same size as the one you have though as i'm afraid of the gsd hurting the mongrel (who is considerably smaller) unintentionally of course while he's playing!

Go for it! Just make sure that they both get the same attention! Otherwise one may get jealous and that would be a problem! You should not experience any problems as your current dog is still a pup!

Good luck!

Here's a pic of the two of them playing tug-o-war!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Newuser12345

Thanks for this, my only regret is I had the opportunity at the time to get his brother out also, but I will look around after X-mas for a pup.

If I wasn't specifically looking for a GSD I would have headed to the Pound!
    I think it's disgracful how animals are bought for Xmas and then tossed out!
    I think it's great to give those animals a second chance!
    If only I had a 40acre farm! I'd take them all!

Will you be going to the Pound after Xmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

One thing I will say is be carefull with the temprement of the dog u pick.
    I would recommend saggart pound. Mainly because Threasa there will know the personality of most if not all of her dogs.

Bring your dog with you when choosing, there is bound to be one he gets on with more than the others. :)

Male or female, it should be neutered.

If you are going for a pup, be aware of the amount of time you will need to give it and that you may have to be able to seperate them when you go out for a week or so at first.

Remember, all dogs have a Pack-Order, they WILL scuffle, its how they decide who is boss, and if u dont let them figure that out between themselves you will end up with two uncontrollable unsettled doggies. Once they know where they stand with each other it should be fine. And theresa will prolly have no problem taking it back if it dosent work out. :)

Hope that helps,

B

Spot on Dawnthreader.
    Both our boys are treated equally and they know i'm boss!
    I'd like to avoid getting them neutured! I'll see how it goes!
    I want to breed the GSD anyway so he'll definately be holding on to his bits!

• Advertisement

Again great advice thanks. Yes I will go to a puppy rescue after X-mas (if wife can be convinced)

This is an excellent site.

I even learned how to weigh a dog ( the time I spent trying to get him to sit on the scales :-)

Thanks

One last thing can anyone recommend a dog boarding facility for holidays etc.
    Prices and discounts for say 2 dogs in the Dublin area
    Price to include feeding

Thanks

Can't help you there mate! I live in Sligo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Cant recommend a specific one *but*..... :)
    Check out the local vets in your area, a lot of them provide a kennelling / cattery service ;)
    And even if not, they could reccomend one. Just one phone call away :)
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

This place is in Roundwood but it is fabulous.
    Zak goes there quite a bit and he loves it.
    They have a lof of land and go for great runs every day. He gets really excited when we drive up there which is a good sign that he likes it.

Corncrake - http://www.corncrakekennels.com/index.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement