Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pizza

• 02-12-2003 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

Is pizza actually bad for you?

If not why is it considered junk food

If so whats bad about it (tomatoe cheese bread a bit of sauce and toppings???)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Id say there is quite a bit of fat in it with the cheese and the bread but cant see what else woudl be in it for it to be bad for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Like everything else, it is only bad for you if you eat it 24-7.

A lot of the pizzas sold here are deep pan and loaded with cheese and processed meat. So they can be fairly stodgy.

If yo made your own with a thin base and things like egg and fish and better quality meat on top, then they aren't a bad option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i'd lova a pizza right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

According to weight watchers Pizza's arent bad for you!!! The base is the most fattening part of a pizza, and to say fattening is the wrong word, something is only fattening if you eat enough of it! If you are going to have pizza the best toppings are all the vegetables ie tomatoes, peppers, onions, corn (if it isn't sweetcorn its preferable),mushrooms, chillis, etc ... cheese as we all now is full of fat, as is pepperoni and spicy beef. Oh my god I want a pizza now................ and only had one last night!! YUMMMMYYYYYYYYY

Hope this helps you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

Also it depends whether u make it urself or whether it is gotten in a Take Away/Restaurant as in those places they use a lot of oil in the pizzas when they make them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

If you get Italian pizzas no they are not - if you get American style deep pan pizzas yes they can be fattening!. So basically stay away from the 'thick' ones and stay with the original thin and crispy, you know it makes sense:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Most deep pan I've had here are full of oil/grease compared to the other base and deep pan base also have more flour which is more carbo/calories so it would be very fattening. And yeah, like what everyone says, eating too much of something is bad for you etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,452 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The problem is when you only eat pizza. Your body can't handle the amount of processed food in most pizza - high in fat and carbohydrate, low in water content, fibre and vitamins. Eat your pizza as part of a meal with something else, say a salad, garlic bread and plenty of water based drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Originally posted by Victor
    The problem is when you only eat pizza. Your body can't handle the amount of processed food in most pizza - high in fat and carbohydrate, low in water content, fibre and vitamins. Eat your pizza as part of a meal with something else, say a salad, garlic bread and plenty of water based drinks.

That's hit the nail on the head . .. good explanation victor :) I'd say you probably could even lose the extra garlic bread; the pizza crust has plenty of highly refined carbs from the white flour anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,452 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by jedidjab79
    I'd say you probably could even lose the extra garlic bread;
    Instead of, not extra - and sure it'll encourage "movement". :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement