Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Format

• 02-12-2003 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question. Whats the most common format that is used by DVD players for playing the latest film release. So if i bring home spiderman to watch what format is that in? -r or +r?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Do you mean the one's you rent in Xtravision or the ones you buy? If so (and I could be wrong) it would be neither a + or -R. Most of the retail DVD's are dual layered (9.7GB) discs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Ah, ok. Makes sense.
    Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

You usually get DVD-Video's from stores... rather than a + or - format...Some are DVD-5 (one layer- 4.7gb) or DVD-9 (dual layer- 9.4gb)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

so why arent the burners the same as what u get when u get a commercial dvd? would it be too simple then to copy a dvd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 l337

no, its pretty hard to write to 2 layers on a dvd. i think they do it with 2 lasers of different frequencies or somthing like that... but to make that kinda stuff for a pc at the moment would be difficult and expensive... although wait 2 years and we will all probably have one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

Originally posted by l337
    no, its pretty hard to write to 2 layers on a dvd. i think they do it with 2 lasers of different frequencies or somthing like that... but to make that kinda stuff for a pc at the moment would be difficult and expensive... although wait 2 years and we will all probably have one

No comercial dvd is burnt using a laser. They are pressed on using massive expensive machines by cyborgs in space

Advertisement