Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Ripwave

Options
  • 02-12-2003 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm looking for some advice. I failed the test for Irish Broadband Breeze product today - there was 2 installers at my house for over 4 hours trying to get it working; ping response was all over the place, and connection was dropping out.

My line has failed pre-qual for DSL - so my last option would appear to be Irish Broadband Ripwave? I've read some mixed reviews on this - anyone with any up to date views / news on this

Thanks,
    Eamonn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by eamo_costello
    I'm looking for some advice. I failed the test for Irish Broadband Breeze product today - there was 2 installers at my house for over 4 hours trying to get it working; ping response was all over the place, and connection was dropping out.

My line has failed pre-qual for DSL - so my last option would appear to be Irish Broadband Ripwave? I've read some mixed reviews on this - anyone with any up to date views / news on this
    Where are you based, Eamo?

There's no new news on RipWave - they've updated their website, so I presume that it's now officially being marketed in the available catchment area (Kilmacud, Ballinteer, Sandyford, Dundrum, Goatstown).

Beyond that, the only news is that IBB were recently awarded new Fixed Wireless licenses in the 3.5GHz band, and the assumption (by me, anyway) is that they will be using RipWave to deliver new products in this band. There's been no indication from IBB to this effect, but it seems the most logical way forward, given the pricing model they've adopted for the existing RipWave product.

I'm at the edge of their stated catchment area (Barton road, on the border between Dundrum and Churchtown), and I'm satisfied with the performance of RipWave, for my needs (primarily web browsing and e-mail). I don't do online gaming, and I've tried voice and video in Netmeeting with only marginal success. I'm hoping that a 3.5GHz service using a higher power output will improve my signal and speed, but for €30/month, always on, I'll live with what I've got for now. It's all money that's not going into the pockets of Tony and his cronies at eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eamo_costello

I'm living at the edge of Sandyford/Dundrum - in Wedgewood estate. So I think I should be covered.
    Do you get fairly consistent speeds? I wouldn't be mad into online gaming, so am not too concerned if pings aren't great. Just basically want a steady consistent service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by eamo_costello
    I'm living at the edge of Sandyford/Dundrum - in Wedgewood estate. So I think I should be covered.
    Do you get fairly consistent speeds? I wouldn't be mad into online gaming, so am not too concerned if pings aren't great. Just basically want a steady consistent service.
    I've been too busy to use it for much more than browsing and e-mail in the last month or so, so I haven't really paid much attention - I certainly havn't noticed any inconsistencies.

It's a pity the installers don't carry a ripwave box with them, you could have checked it out while they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭lm7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9yihS3XfcU follow this link or type in ripwave modem death. I had this product it was as useful as a ashtray on a bike.

Advertisement