Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

fiesta door locks

Options
  • 02-12-2003 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

does anyone know what the story is with the for fiesta door lock.... ie i can lock my door with the key, but cant unlock it....before ye say use the passanger door...thats knackered aswell....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

What Year, Model etc......?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

dbfarrell.
    My guess is that you don't have the right key. If it's an old / secondhand car then there might be new locks.
    I had similar problems with an 89D fiesta. I got a whole new lock set.
    thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

96 classic fiesta, it is the right key, it will lock the door, lock and unlock the boot, and it will start the car...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Had the same problem with mine. Get a new key cut and it should work fine. It's probaly the key rather than the door. My old key was twisted. It would open the boot and the passenger door fine, as well as start the engine, but not open the driver's door. You feel like a right berk climbing accross from the passenger side every time you get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

its not the key...have the original red one and that still doesnt open it, and i look even stuipeder, cos the passanger door is knackered aswell, so i have to climb through the boot........:) just found out that its a common problem with the fords, and i have to get new locks.....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I was just going to say that.Ford seemed to have got Cadbury or some chocolate manufactuer to make their door locks and keys:D Absolute rubbish.
    Yep,if a new key does not solve your problem,you'll need a new door lock too.It's not necessary to get a whole set,but usually other locks on the car, the boot or especially the petrol cap,are not far behind.I did find out that keeping lubricated the petrol cap lock,you'll less likely to run into problems there.(how embarresing is it when I get out to put some petrol into the car,and end up 10 minutes trying to open the fuel cap) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Actually it's not even nessecary to get new locks.

There is a lock rebuild kit available for those lovely ford locks.

Search about online, they have a special name. try google groups.

seemingly a lot cheaper than new locks too.

I read about it in car mechanics and I might have a look for the copy when I go home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I had a new key cut for my car before and when i went out to try it, it didnt work ... so i went straight back and the key-cutter came out and tried it ...didnt work for him either ... he pulled out a little container with a long dropper on it ..(think of one of those small wood glue containers) and squirted in graphite dust (black, very very fine) and tried the key ... worked .... but the reason he used the graphite dust was that it blackened the key except in places where it was rubbing ... he then did a little bit of filing the key and its worked since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

Same here, for a while graphite-laden oil fixes it but that's just putting off the inevitable, i've had to get mine done before too. Fords suck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

For anyone who isn't aware of the Ford keys - they are round, not the normal flat key.

Had the same problem with mine. The bottom end of the key wore down and the black plastic kept twisting around the key itself, so super glue worked for a while.

The best thing to do is to get a new key cut. If all else fails you might need a new barrel on the door or boot or wherever the key won't work. Plenty of breakers yards would have them in stock I'm sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement