Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW C1 - Whaddya think?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Pat Kenny uses one. Can't say 'rides one'.
    'Nuf said. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

taken from http://www.maddockonline.com/go/new/c1.html

low cost of ownership and fuel consumption - Yeah BMW always comes with cheap ownership.

high level of riding pleasure- Bike with windscreen ? Pleasure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

So its not cool or trendy. Is it practical?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

It's gay! Who cares about practicality!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    So its not cool or trendy. Is it practical?

During the winter... most definately yes! Anything you can do to keep cold air off yourself while riding during the autumn and winter months is worth it. Hell, throw a pair of heated handgrips and an mp3 player into that thing and you're in hog heaven :D

Would I get one? Yeah for winter, just to stay on two wheels. I'd probably convert it into a trike though. After all, might as well be warm and perfectly stable on those frosty mornings. No more brown pants time wondering if youre going to end up kissing tarmac.

• Advertisement

-you still need waterproof gear
    -at 202.0 kg (445.3 pounds) it's not easy thing to maneuver
    -limited storage space for the size of the bike

I am not convinced about wearing seat belt on the bike. You may have protective cage but I don't like the idea to be dragged with bike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I think it's better than falling out and having the bike come clattering down on top of you.. I'd say that's the thinking behind the belt as well.

Anyway, I had a shot on a C1 at the 'try a scooter' thing at the NEC show last year, and it was easy enough to maneouver around that tiny space. Dunno about lack of storage.. the thing has a boot!!!

I'd say if you have the cash, it'd be a worthwhile investment, especially if you're trying to get out of the car and onto two wheels for commuting.

Maddocks will probably let you take one for a test ride to see how you like it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

My first reply was flippant, trying to kick start the thread a bit. I've only seen a few around the city. No idea of price, but there are 2 different engines available; 125 and 200cc. I priced insurance with Hibernian and for the 125, it works out at 100 euro more than my 400cc, fully comp (which is 730 euro). That's expensive for a scooter. Mind you, TPO is half that price.

:eek: Ohmigawd. Just checked insurance for a Yamaha Majesty 150cc (a mate has one, don't know many other scooters) and it would cost over 1075 for FC insurance, 615 for TPO. Feck! Cheaper for me to have a motorbike than a scooter. Ouch!

I actually like the look of the C1 but don't tell the bikers ;). I'll have to get me coat...

One thing with a scooter compared to a bike is the storage space. I believe that a scooter should be able to take 1 or 2 lids and possibly a small bag of groceries. Without the addition of a topbox.

When comes to storage most of the big scooters have reasonable storage and C1 doesn't shock anybody in this area, additionally you can carry passenger. Handling is also important when parking, reversing you bike (not easy when seat belt is on)

So, when comes to handling, machine is to heavy and driver position is to enclosed to allow much movement around in car parks. The only option here is to drag the bike around point in to right direction, get in to your seat (not forgetting about seatbelt and take off.
    as per bike specification
    -little space required, combined with a high level of mobility
    -lightweight, nimble and maneuverable

this is really marketing speech as C1 experience is totally unlike riding a scooter.

Advertisement