Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Admins

Options
  • 06-12-1999 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭

Who is responsible for the admins on IGN?
    How do you become an admin? Im not asking to be one by the way.
    I just want to know how certain *unresponsible ppl* (ie. Dickheads)
    became admins!
    For example:
    tonite while playing on ign arena a certain person who didnt like what was going on kicked EVERYONE midgame cause he didnt get to play and made a big deal of it! ya u 007.

How did this/these dictator/s smile.gif come to power?
    Thank you for attending this Q's and ANS's Forum :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I wouldn't say that this was Admin Abuse more like someone getting hold of the admin password and acting the malley. Might be an idea for someone with *THE POWER* to change the admin password and email the admins with the new one.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Jimmy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Q

I am reliably informed that the server was reset as was requested because of the number of users who had been using it over the last while.

Its impossible to do a mass kick as such on a quake server.

That said there have been a number of complaints about a certain secret agent who had better behave or he'll be sucked up a pipe from a leather chair.... know what I mean smile.gif

A New Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Q

We Q's seem to be getting more and more numerous - all the better for keeping the dickheads in check smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Ah yer the same person tell the truth smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I was on the server at the time..when we all dissed...i went and asked how that little **** had got admin..turned out he hadn't and the server was reset by a proper admin who later got rid of the little **** who is a member of Her Majesty's Secret Service..so don't panic..the muppets haven't taken over the world.

<Mr. Bond> You expect me to talk?
    <Toulouse> No Mr. Bond I expect you to die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Whats with this Q person anyway? Who is it really?

El

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Carefull Andy.... we must wait for the
    auspicous moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

If the IGN is really community based, run for and by the community surely since DeV and Regi handed in thier 'Q' we should be 'at the very least' told who is using it now.

I am not biching or moaning I just think who ever is using it we should know who has access to it for the sake of clarity is all!

Vaggaman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

na I reckon keep it anon, then he can't be accused of vendettas, btw I know who u are wink.gif

naa all I want is someone to bribe for a blanket ban on everyone in doozer, their beinging down the tone of this place smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Surely all we need to know is that they are our betters in every way and know what's best for us smile.gif

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

lol, so it is my ma then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭DeV

Muso, if you want the job its all yours. smile.gif

I quit Q (and afaik so did Dan) because people were unhappy with the way we adminned these boards (which, I might remind you all are a privilege not a right) and more specifically because people (DF people to be exact) were bringing Spin Solutions into the equation when it has nothing to do with it. (for which they apologised later, but which brought it home to me that some people may take this boards issues and make trouble for our company)

Q is a number of people (myself and Dan not included) who are looking after the boards now. I dont see why everyone else is allowed to post anonymously and everyone supports their right to but Q cant? I can understand why those people would want to use Q anonymously because it saves getting grief everytime someone feels they are being oppressed...

As far as I am concerned I am a general user of the boards but if anyone has a problem with the way the boards are run, dont let the door hit you on the ass on the way to setting up your own.

DeV.

[This message has been edited by DeV (edited 07-12-1999).]

Fair points one and all Dev, it would be 'nice' for us the users (well me at any rate smile.gif) if the different admins were recognisable, not everyone being Q. The point of an admin is a position of power and responsibility, therefore it comes with extra duty’s and you should not have to hide behind anonymity like other cowards on the boards do when posing stuff [I am calling the anon posters cowards here and not the admins BTW in case of anyone miss reading it!].

I have no problems with any of the Admins at all. Its just if they are being selected by whoever, on our behalf, and censoring the board on our behalf I would like to know who is censoring what. I would think it would make your, the admins lives easier in the long run.

Its not a massive issue, nor is it a big problem, its just a suggestion is all.

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 07-12-1999).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭DeV

People still seem to be labouring under the idea that this is a public board where admins are answerable to the general populace (of which I am now one).

Its not. Its the IGN's board. A board which is open to all but to which access rights can (and have been) revoked.

If Q took a spa attack and started to delete every post of mine, or randomly deleted users or something then I'd just vote with my mouse and click onto another board (I'd probably make my own).

Being Q is a pain in the ass. You have to justify deleting grossly indecent material, spam, pr0n, threats, confidential material, personal details and libelous material to the muppets who post it.

The morons that post this sort of stuff inevitably whine about their freedom of expression (like any of them have EVER read the UN Bill Of Human Rights, if you have I point you towards the final right outlined in the document).

Couple this with ping attacks, nukes, abusive privates on IRC, hack attacks, BO attempts and snide insults on the servers and I can see why the people currently acting as Q are right to keep their individual identities and actions private.

Its convienient for the people behind Q to NOT be associated with their actions publically, therefore avoiding all that personal *****ing that we get. The people behind Q monitor each others actions the same way ops on IRC do. If someone gets abusive with Q's power, the password will be changed and the person will not be given the new one.

I've never posted anonymously as people are aware and I rarely support anonimity (though I support the right to post anon., I disagree with *<b>using</b>* that right in general...)

If there is a specific case to be answered, question it here and expect a reply from Q, but only from Q...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Bit like the executioners of old..

"Quick pull the switch Mr Garrison!"

Advertisement